Cucumber Salad

Local time
4:33 PM
Mod Edit: This thread has been created from another thread where too many posts had nothing to do with the original post so a new thread has been created.

One of my favorite cucumber dishes is a Polish cucumber salad my grandma used to make: cucumbers, thin sliced onions, sour cream and a little bit of dill. Mix it all together and let it flavor through while it chills. Something about it is just so refreshing, although probably not too healthy!

Last edited by a moderator:
i eat plain cucumber but find it quite dull,so i pickle it down with vinegar,sugar chilli and coriander seed,its great with smoked salmon

You know what I've noticed? People, it seems depending on their history eating cucumbers, either prefer vinegar or lemon/lime juice. It seems to be a Latin thing to use lime, a Middle Eastern thing to use lemon, & a European thing to use vinegar.

I'm a big fan of the sour cream, sea salt, black pepper and fresh dill thing too with cucumbers - it's super rich but refreshing and tangy at the same time. Not to mention it's so simple to throw together in a minute or two!

The only time I've tried cucumbers with lemon juice, is when I make my orzo pasta salad with cucumbers, feta, and mint, lemon zest and lemon juice (salt and pepper to taste) and I love the combination.

I am one of those people who can't enjoy cucumbers raw so I do a pickle of sorts most times. Lime juice, salt, onions and fresh pepper and parsley are good for me. I am happy to find these other twist. I shall try some.

I love eating cucumbers and I had a simple way of preparing them. Cucumber slices with vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper to taste and thats how it is my favorite cucumber side dish salad together with my meals.

Ah, cool recipe. In my family, we just slice up the fresh cucumber and eat it with some sea salt. Super crisp and refreshing. I've never really had 'em in salads before, so I might experiment with this someday. Thanks for the recipe!

I like my cucumber with just a little salt and pepper sliced or in my salads.

Cucumbers are amazing, but they make an excellent addition to the Shopska salad, which typically includes tomatoes, feta cheese, peppers and olives. But generally speaking, almost anything with cucumbers is awesome, they're one of my favorite vegetables ever.

Of course, you can cook cucumber too! Cut into chunky half-moons and sautéed in butter with a little fennel seed, it makes an aromatic accompaniment for fish or chicken.:cook:

A few years ago, I was on holiday in Jordan and we went to a small local restaurant for dinner. We didn't order a starter, but the waiter appeared with an enormous pile of cucumbers and pitta bread that he put on the table in front of us. It was way, way too much, but it seemed a bit impolite not to have a good go at it.

One of my favorite cucumber dishes is a Polish cucumber salad my grandma used to make: cucumbers, thin sliced onions, sour cream and a little bit of dill. Mix it all together and let it flavor through while it chills. Something about it is just so refreshing, although probably not too healthy!

It sounds as if it would be good made with Greek yogurt, as well, and maybe that would feel a little healthier? It sounds tasty as is, also. Do you use red onions? I think maybe I'll try it with those and the Greek yogurt.

The cucumber salad I make is just cucumbers, sliced onions, salt and pepper, and vinegar. Sometimes I add green or red peppers to spice it up a little bit :)

I was peeling a big cucumber last week and upon slicing, that's when I learned that we had ran out of mayonnaise. We just eat cucumber with a dip made of ketchup, mayonnaise and some drops of tabasco. Since the cucumber is already done, there was no turning back. I got the special vinegar made from sugar cane, added a dash of salt and a tablespoon of sugar plus a sprinkling of pepper. That's my own kind of ranch dressing. And they had no choice but to dip the cucumber in that vinegar mix or eat the cucumber at face value.

Back
Top Bottom