Recipe Cumin Chicken Soup (low sodium)

TodayInTheKitchen

Blitzinator
Local time
12:53 PM
Website
todayinthekitchen.com
The focus of this recipe is low sodium. By using Swanson Low Sodium broth, I am able to create a bowl of chicken soup with less than 200mg of salt. Best of all, by using a generous amount of whole cumin seeds, this recipe explodes with flavor. The carrots and tomatoes give the soup a nice nutritional value too. Finally, by resisting adding any form of noodles, this recipe is low carb. To recap...low sodium, flavorful, nutritious and low carb. Ooops...almost forgot low calorie too.
All in all, this is the best homemade chicken soup I have made in years.

:chef: Ingredients
12 oz boneless chicken thighs
1 pint of grape tomatoes
1 cup of chopped carrots
1 cup of minced onions
4 cups of low sodium chicken broth
1 tsp of crushed peppers (optional)
4 tbsp of whole cumin seeds
1/4 cup of EVOO

:chef: Method
  1. In a large stock pot, heat EVOO. Toss in onions and 2 tbsp of cumin seeds. Cook on high for 30 seconds.
  2. Add chicken thighs. Cook on high 2-3 minutes. Stir.
  3. Turn heat down to medium. Add 1 cup of broth and 1 cup of water. Cook for 5 minutes.
  4. Turn heat to simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
  5. Add 1 cup of broth and 1 cup of water. Add 1 tbsp of cumin seeds. Simmer for 20 minutes.
  6. Remove chicken from pot and chop into small chunks. Return chicken to pot.
  7. Add 1 cup of broth and 1 cup of water. Add 1 tbsp of cumin seeds. Add 1 tbsp of crushed peppers.(optional) Simmer for 20 minutes.
  8. Cut grape tomatoes in half. Chop carrots. Add tomatoes and carrots to broth. Simmer for 20 minutes.
  9. Add 1 cup of broth and 1 cup of water. Simmer for 20 minutes.
  10. My favorite soup trick.
    Turn heat off. Let soup stand for 1 hour. Then simmer for 30 minutes.
Note: Total Simmer Time = 2 hours!!!

It looks very bright and cheerful for a chicken soup - and a double dose of cumin seeds in there!
Thanks for the kind words. The double dose of cumin seeds helps to offset the lower salt component in terms of taste. One thing I can say is that the smells in my house while this soup simmered were incredible.

Finally, by resisting adding any form of noodles, this recipe is low carb
I keep mentally changing the name of the soup to Cumin Chicken Noodle Soup. I'm so used to chicken soups having noodles that this adds.

It's interesting what happens to things when you go heavy on the cumin. It wants to pull things in a sort of chili direction, and it's easy to see why that works here: everything you have in this recipe would be at home in a chili. But, this is distinctly not a chili: it's still all about the chicken and the broth, with a blanket of cumin.

I keep mentally changing the name of the soup to Cumin Chicken Noodle Soup. I'm so used to chicken soups having noodles that this adds.

It's interesting what happens to things when you go heavy on the cumin. It wants to pull things in a sort of chili direction, and it's easy to see why that works here: everything you have in this recipe would be at home in a chili. But, this is distinctly not a chili: it's still all about the chicken and the broth, with a blanket of cumin.
Very well spoken. I see the "chili reference". Perhaps instead of the tomatoes, I could go with celery. That would give this recipe a more "soup-like" feel.

Back
Top Bottom