Cured and/or Smoked Ham

CraigC

Guru
Local time
5:57 AM
There are many cured or smoked hams from different countries, some of which are both cured and smoked. What are your favorites? We love Prosciutto di Parma and I really like Prosciutto di San Daniele. Iberian ham is another favorite. Country ham is a favorite with many folks in the US, but only a little at a time!:okay:

We love Prosciutto di Parma and I really like Prosciutto di San Daniele.

Agreed - two of my favourites.

There is a British ham I'd love to try and its been on my wish list for a decade! Its rather expensive. This is Suffolk Black Ham from Emmets in Suffolk. I'm think of making a trip to the shop in the near future. http://www.emmettsham.co.uk/index.php/about-us/

This is our signature ham that we have been making since 1820. Each ham takes approximately 10 weeks to make by hand with all the curing, marinading, smoking and maturing and cooking taking place behind Emmett’s Store.
The period of marination, in Nethergate Suffolk porter beer gives the product immense depth and flavour and some coarseness like no other. It is then hot smoked in our original brick smokehouses

Screen Shot 2019-06-26 at 14.52.37.png

There are many cured or smoked hams from different countries, some of which are both cured and smoked. What are your favorites? We love Prosciutto di Parma and I really like Prosciutto di San Daniele. Iberian ham is another favorite. Country ham is a favorite with many folks in the US, but only a little at a time!:okay:

Prociuto is much too wicked salty. Can't eat that!! :sick:

Prociuto is much too wicked salty. Can't eat that!! :sick:

Have you actually tried imported Prosciutto di Parma or San Daniele? There are some garbage ones not from the regions in Italy where the formentioned ones come from. If you think they are too salty then you must not like US country ham.

Are there no shops that offer it sliced? Is it more expensive than the Parma or San Daniele?

Far as I know its only available from Emmetts and their on-line service has a minimum of 2kg. A whopping £65! Its served fairly thick sliced unlike Parma, and obviously you pay by weight. I think if I went to the shop I could buy a smaller amount.

I cooked a half ham about a month ago, it was already cooked, think I put a pic up, it was Manuka smoked.
I just heated it up and glazed it. I do it here about 4 times a year.its not salty at all. We can also buy it as shaved ham for sammiches.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom