Recipe Cured braised pork belly (Asian)

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
9:33 PM
We use this pork belly to make a Momofuku's pork belly buns and ramen noodle soup (which uses the broth as well).

1 whole 3-pound piece of pork belly, skin on, cut in half if necessary to fit in pot

Cure:
3 whole star anise
1 cinnamon stick
3 whole cloves
4 tsp black peppercorns
2 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp fennel seeds
1/2 cup coarse sea salt
2 Tbsp sugar
2 garlic cloves, finely minced (I microplaned)
1/2 tsp fresh grated ginger or 1/4 tsp dried

For the broth:
2 celery stalks, coarsely chopped
1 large carrot, coarsely chopped
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
1 bouquet garni (thyme, bay leaves, rosemary, parsley stems)

Place the first 6 cure ingredients in a small pan and toast until fragrant. Cool slightly, then place in a spice grinder and grind to a powder. Mix with the remaining cure ingredients. Rub cure mixture on both sides of the pork belly then place in a large plastic bag or wrap in plastic and put on a baking sheet or pan and place in refrigerator for 2 days.

After 48 hours, rinse the cure off the pork belly and place in a deep stockpot along with the broth ingredients. Cover with water. Bring to a boil, then decrease heat and simmer for 3 hours or until fork tender. Cool. Place in refrigerator overnight. After refrigerating, remove congealed layer of fat and use or portion and freeze pork belly as desired. I also portion and freeze the broth as it's very flavorful.

Last edited:
We use this pork belly to make a Momofuku's pork belly buns and ramen noodle soup (which uses the broth as well).

1 whole 3-pound piece of pork belly, skin on, cut in half if necessary to fit in pot

Cure:
3 whole star anise
1 cinnamon stick
3 whole cloves
4 tsp black peppercorns
2 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp fennel seeds
1/2 cup coarse sea salt
2 Tbsp sugar
2 garlic cloves, finely minced (I microplaned)
1/2 tsp fresh grated ginger or 1/4 tsp dried

For the broth:
2 celery stalks, coarsely chopped
1 large carrot, coarsely chopped
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
1 bouquet garni (thyme, bay leaves, rosemary, parsley stems)

Place the first 6 cure ingredients in a small pan and toast until fragrant. Cool slightly, then place in a spice grinder and grind to a powder. Mix with the remaining cure ingredients. Rub cure mixture on both sides of the pork belly then place in a large plastic bag or wrap in plastic and put on a baking sheet or pan and place in refrigerator for 2 days.

After 48 hours, rinse the cure off the pork belly and place in a deep stockpot along with the broth ingredients. Cover with water. Bring to a boil, then decrease heat and simmer for 3 hours or until fork tender. Cool. Place in refrigerator overnight. After refrigerating, remove congealed layer of fat and use or portion and freeze pork belly as desired. I also portion and freeze the broth as it's very flavorful.

So when you reheat? Or cook again to get crackling?? I love pork belly, I even have a piece in the freezer, but my wife hates fatty foods like pork. I'm due for some nice pork belly??

Russ

I cut the skin off for the ramen bowl. But, when I made pork belly buns, I cut the skin off, dried it in a low oven for several hours, then fried to make cracklings.

Back
Top Bottom