Curious about Beef Brisket

Matilda

Local time
8:18 AM
I have such an urge to try making a Beef Brisket. I've looked at recipes for baking, slow cooking, stove-top, (no BBq), almost tempted to pressure cook. Is there any one way for a perfect Brisket? I know, its asking a lot. Any one have any fantastic recipes?

I have such an urge to try making a Beef Brisket. I've looked at recipes for baking, slow cooking, stove-top, (no BBq), almost tempted to pressure cook. Is there any one way for a perfect Brisket? I know, its asking a lot. Any one have any fantastic recipes?
I don't have a particular recipe, but I've made three briskets in my life - one in a slow-cooker, one on the outdoor gas grill, and one I've the oven. They all came out wonderfully tender.

Pick a recipe and jump in!

WOW what a tough question
Pros and cons on every aspect of cooking brisket
To trim or not to trim
We usually trim most of the heavy fat. There is still lots of internal fat
To wrap or not to wrap?
George likes to cook brisket on the gas grill
He does both . He gives the outside a good char on a hot fire, lowers the heat and wraps the meat in foil
Slow and low off of the direct heat for a long time.
Seasoning - a dry rub - salt, pepper, cayenne, smoked paprika, granulated garlic, onion powder, dried herbs . Injected with a liquid seasoning mix.
Look on line
Find a recipe that appeals to you and go for it
My recommendation is a recipe that cooks low and slow
Brisket is by nature a tough, fatty cut of meat. Low and slow renders the fat and leaves you with incredibly tender, juicy meat

When I think of brisket I picture a whole packer brisket. It includes the flat and the point/deckle. Some sellers offer the flat by itself and call it "Brisket". When you buy corned beef brisket, you are most likely getting the point. I've cooked whole packers on my smokers (BGE or Horizon off-set) Depending on weight, a whole packer can take up to 18 hours at 225F to an internal temperature of 198F to 205F. Usually after 3-4 hours on the smoker the brisket is wrapped and finished cooking back on the smoker. When talking BBQ in Texas, brisket (and other beef) is usually what is being talked about.

Yes, brisket is at the center of Texas BBQ. Low and slow is a must. around 250F for a long time, no matter what cooking method you use.

BTW, don't judge doneness by time or internal temperature. Go by "feel." A skewer or thermometer probe should slide through the meat with very little effort. That may happen at different temperatures with different briskets. Be patient. The brisket will tell you when it is done.

CD

Thanks for all the info. I'm going to try this one.

Easy Slow Cooker BBQ Beef Brisket Recipe

I was calling around, checking my local butcher shop on price. I got anywhere from $8.99 to $9.99 per pound. Oh WOW !! So I called a company that deals with restaurants. I can get a 13 Lb. (avg) brisket for $2.99 a pound. I figure I can cut it into 3 pieces and have a lot of practice. Wish me luck.

Thanks for all the info. I'm going to try this one.

Easy Slow Cooker BBQ Beef Brisket Recipe

I was calling around, checking my local butcher shop on price. I got anywhere from $8.99 to $9.99 per pound. Oh WOW !! So I called a company that deals with restaurants. I can get a 13 Lb. (avg) brisket for $2.99 a pound. I figure I can cut it into 3 pieces and have a lot of practice. Wish me luck.
Beef Brisket is a cut of meat that can be used in a variety of different ways. And, quality matters, depending on what you're trying to do:
  • Low Grade Brisket (~$3/pound).
    • USES: ground beef. It's actually not bad that way, assuming you own a meat grinder. I honestly wouldn't use this to make corned beef or a low-and-slow preparation. I only decided to grind it after I realized how bad the cut was.
    • Notes: Around St. Patrick's Day most years, Kroger sells a low grade brisket with seasonings to make corned beef, for about $3 a pound. No idea what happened this year, since that was around the time when the world shut down.
  • High Grade Brisket (~$10/pound).
    • USES: corned beef; low-and-slow smoking; ground beef if you want the most amazing burger you've ever had in your life.
    • Notes: I would seriously start here, and see if you can get a smaller cut (like 3-4 pounds) from your butcher shop. That way, you can make a little bit at a time and see how it turns out. If you're making a burger, I would blend it with ground chuck and/or sirloin: you will still get that powerful beefy flavor that way.

Beef Brisket is a cut of meat that can be used in a variety of different ways. And, quality matters, depending on what you're trying to do:
  • Low Grade Brisket (~$3/pound).
    • USES: ground beef. It's actually not bad that way, assuming you own a meat grinder. I honestly wouldn't use this to make corned beef or a low-and-slow preparation. I only decided to grind it after I realized how bad the cut was.
    • Notes: Around St. Patrick's Day most years, Kroger sells a low grade brisket with seasonings to make corned beef, for about $3 a pound. No idea what happened this year, since that was around the time when the world shut down.
  • High Grade Brisket (~$10/pound).
    • USES: corned beef; low-and-slow smoking; ground beef if you want the most amazing burger you've ever had in your life.
    • Notes: I would seriously start here, and see if you can get a smaller cut (like 3-4 pounds) from your butcher shop. That way, you can make a little bit at a time and see how it turns out. If you're making a burger, I would blend it with ground chuck and/or sirloin: you will still get that powerful beefy flavor that way.
Remember the old adage - you get what you pay for.
If your brisket is dreck consider the quality of the meat. If your meat is palatable you lucked out. For mouth watering perfection you need good quality beef. The single, most important thing that I have learned from this community is that the quality of your product is all important.

Slow cooker here as well. This was the ONLY dish I could set up in my slow cooker, go to work, and come back at the end of the working day, and it was just right. Keep in mind that working day included travel time so it was something like 11 hours in the cooker. Occasionally more.

I'm afraid you ruled out the perfect brisket with "no BBQ." But some tips...

$2.99 a pound will not even have a USDA grade. USDA Select is not a real grade. The good meat starts with USDA Choice. USDA Prime is overkill for someone new to brisket.

Other than that, keep the cooking temperature low, and cook it slow. It will be done when it is done, which is when a skewer can slide right trough it.

Good luck.

$2.99 a pound will not even have a USDA grade. USDA Select is not a real grade. The good meat starts with USDA Choice. USDA Prime is overkill for someone new to brisket.

Other than that, keep the cooking temperature low, and cook it slow. It will be done when it is done, which is when a skewer can slide right trough it.

Good luck.
I know you guys have turned BBQ into an art form! Those skills are sadly lacking on this side of the pond, so I would go with the slow cooker option. Cube the meat, brown it in a pan, same with veg, put everything in slow cooker with stock, herbs and red wine or beer. Go to work. Come home to a fantastic aroma that has been wafting round the house all day, driving the dogs crazy. Consume alongside some of that lovely mashed potato featured in the other thread. :hungry:

Good luck.
Lets see if this shows up... Fresh Beef Brisket - Gordon Food Service Store I guess not. Looks like you have to be logged in.

It says USDA Choice, Boneless, Deckle-off(?) 3/4 trim.

No BBQ as in 2nd floor apt. No Grilling on balcony.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom