Recipe Curried Pickled Eggs

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
2:47 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I have modified a recipe taken from here. We found that the curried flavour was quite mild and we would prefer something stronger, so I have increased the curry powder quantity added and also the other spice. In addition, instead of adding water to the apple cider vinegar, I have kept it 100% apple cider vinegar because we found the pickling to be quite mild .

Steaming the eggs, whilst it felt unnatural, resulted in far fewer cracked shells than boiling the eggs in water. However, cracked shells are probably not that much of an issue given that you are peeling the eggs anyhow!

IMG_7048b.JPG

Ingredients
  • 6 uncooked eggs
  • 425 - 500 ml apple cider vinegar
  • 1/4 onion, sliced thinly
  • 65g light brown sugar
  • 3-6 green cardamom pods
  • 1-2 tsp mustard seeds (yellow or brown)
  • 1-2 tbsp curry powder (make this a nice one)
Method
  1. Steam the eggs for around 20 minutes, before placing in cold water and allowing to go cold.
  2. Meanwhile, add the apple cider vinegar, onion, sugar, cardamon pods, mustard seeds and curry powder into a saucepan and bring to the boil. Simmer for around 5 minutes before removing from the heat and allowing to cool slightly.
  3. Now peel the hard boiled eggs and place them in the bottom of an airtight jar. If you can't get all 6 eggs in one jar, go for 2 and use more apple cider vinegar if needed.
  4. Put the mixture through a sieve (optional) if you don't want the spices or onions to end up in the jar with the eggs - personally we kept them.
  5. Pour the apple cider vinegar mixture over the eggs.
  6. Ensure that the eggs are covered completely. If not, add some more apple cider vinegar to the jar to ensure they are and mix carefully.
  7. Now simply seal the jar(s), place the eggs in the fridge once cold and leave for at least a couple of days, ideally a week for the colour and flavour to penetrate the eggs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom