Curry leaves

JAS_OH1

Forum GOD!
Local time
7:36 AM
[Mod.edit: This post and several following posts moved to form a new topic (MG)]

I essentially agree - but I also like it as it has been served in some Indian restaurants with a little saffron, or a little fenugreek leaves (methi) or curry leaves. Not enough to overpower, a little goes a LONG way.
I do like saffron, but I use it with other kinds of rice that aren't as fragrant on their own. Never tried fenugreek (gotta love the midwest, few people are adventurous around here). Also didn't even know there were curry leaves, I thought curry was a combination of various spices.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do like saffron, but I use it with other kinds of rice that aren't as fragrant on their own. Never tried fenugreek (gotta love the midwest, few people are adventurous around here). Also didn't even know there were curry leaves, I thought curry was a combination of various spices.
Curry leaves have the unfortunate distinction of being named that - they really have little relationship to the combination of curry spices that go into making up curry spices... I suspect the names are different in the Indian languages. The leaf itself is a stand-alone, with sort of an earthy taste. I'll go find a photo....

From Wikipedia, with requested attribution below - it is a fairly "hard" leaf, and this photo is larger than life sized (from the leaves I've seen). It can be frozen for future use. At some point, it will lose potency. Typically, it will be chopped up into whatever what one is cooking.

ooops, I do fear we need a new thread for Indian spices! Apologies!
1648574209906.png

By spurekar - Fresh curry Leaf, CC BY 2.0, File:Fresh curry Leaf (49697684423).jpg - Wikimedia Commons

From Wikipedia, with requested attribution below - it is a fairly "hard" leaf, and this photo is larger than life sized (from the leaves I've seen). It can be frozen for future use. At some point, it will lose potency. Typically, it will be chopped up into whatever what one is cooking.

View attachment 82946

By spurekar - Fresh curry Leaf, CC BY 2.0, File:Fresh curry Leaf (49697684423).jpg - Wikimedia Commons
But we are referring how it goes with rice, so they are related and it's on topic? I suppose there are Indian dishes that don't have rice in them but I bet most do?

View attachment 82946

It also comes in dried form similar to a bay leaf or kefir like leaves. It's very brittle in dried form but has the advantage of not having to be frozen. In the UK, dried form was easier to find unless you lived in or near to an Asian shop. Thankfully in Australia where I am, fresh curry leaves can be purchased in supermarkets along with the packets of fresh herbs.

I also have a rice dish that's almost a risotto/pilaf but uses basmati rice. It is cooked in a manner similar to that of a risotto but resembles more of a pilaf in the end. It's super easy and very tasty...

curry-leaves.jpg

Curry leaves are from a tropical/sub-tropical tree in the Rutaceae family, which is native to India. Curry leaves are highly aromatic similar to bay leaves and generally used in Indian cooking. Fresh leaves should be used whenever available as they are far superior to the dried variety.

Curry leaves are from a tropical/sub-tropical tree in the Rutaceae family, which is native to India. Curry leaves are highly aromatic similar to bay leaves and generally used in Indian cooking. Fresh leaves should be used whenever available as they are far superior to the dried variety.
Yeah, I go through quite a bit of curry leaves at the restaurant and when I order the minimum I'll freeze what I don't use immediately, and they do freeze pretty well for the purpose of basic gravies and sauces as well used to perfume jamine or basmati. I get actual branches of curry leaves, lime leaves as well.

can't find the envy emoticon
Haha.....yeah, this hasn't always been the case, but with this purveyor it is. This particular purveyor, who specialize in plants (vegetables mostly) is one of the best and well known but very expensive but were fine with that considering the overall quality and the variety is remarkable.

Curry leaves (Murraya koenegii) are used a lot in South Indian cookery. They are often flash-fried before being added to dishes.
I´d venture that they`re slightly bitter, slightly musky.
I use them with all sorts of dishes: fish. seafood, vegetables, lentils, etc.

Curry leaves (Murraya koenegii) are used a lot in South Indian cookery. They are often flash-fried before being added to dishes.
I´d venture that they`re slightly bitter, slightly musky.
I use them with all sorts of dishes: fish. seafood, vegetables, lentils, etc.
They also have a slight citrus flavour. I love them and use them a lot when I can get hold of them.

I love curry leaves. I've two times tried to grow the plant and two times failed -- I am the black thumb of death!

I tend to buy them "fresh frozen" from an online Indian grocer. If you want a delicious dish that makes good use of them look up Sanbar (soup). 🤤

Back
Top Bottom