Curry sauce KFC

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
12:34 AM
We used to get nuggets here with choice of sauces in little pottles. The curry sauce was really yummy. I'm going to try to copy it, I giggled it and got nothing, maybe you Brits who love curry sauce on your chips might know how??
Help!!

Russ

We used to get nuggets here with choice of sauces in little pottles. The curry sauce was really yummy. I'm going to try to copy it, I giggled it and got nothing, maybe you Brits who love curry sauce on your chips might know how??
Help!!

Russ
You giggled it? 😂😂😂 I love auto correct.

In the UK you can get "Chip Shop Style" curry sauce granules from Bisto and others, giggle is your friend. I suppose the KFC curry sauce must be similar to these East Asian inspired instant jobs because they tend to be sweeter than Indian type curries. Try a few and see what comes close, I particularly like the instant sauces sold as Katsu, they are close to the sauce I got from the chip shop I used as a student in the 1980s.

You giggled it? 😂😂😂 I love auto correct.

In the UK you can get "Chip Shop Style" curry sauce granules from Bisto and others, giggle is your friend. I suppose the KFC curry sauce must be similar to these East Asian inspired instant jobs because they tend to be sweeter than Indian type curries. Try a few and see what comes close, I particularly like the instant sauces sold as Katsu, they are close to the sauce I got from the chip shop I used as a student in the 1980s.

Yeah that's the kind I'm after, nothing on the shelf here though!!
Btw I always say giggle. :)

Russ

I think what you are looking for is the KFC Creamy Curry Sauce. I'm not sure if they do it anymore in the UK or NZ. This photo is from France.

1594370772004.png

Here are the ingredients which I had to translate from the French. As you can see it has quite a lot of sugar (glucose-fructose syrup and glucose syrup and sugar), as The Velvet Curtain mentions.

Water, rapeseed oil, glucose-fructose syrup, glucose syrup, alcohol vinegar, curry (2.2%) (turmeric, coriander, cumin, rice flour, fenugreek, salt, bay leaf, fennel, garlic, chili pepper ), modified starch, salt, sugar, salted egg yolk (egg yolk, salt), preservatives: E270 and E200, onion, colors: ordinary caramel and paprika extract, stabilizer: E415, thickener E412, natural flavor and natural chili flavour.

Here are what those E numbers are:
  • E270 - Lactic acid
  • E200 - Sorbic acid
  • E415 - Xanthan gum
  • E412 - Guar gum
The last two are thickeners. I sometimes use Xanthum to make sauces. A little added produces almost instant thickness and no taste. The first two are usually added as preservatives.

Last edited:
I found this recipe on a website, if you are interested:

7 ½ cups sour cream
½ cup lemon juice
3 tablespoons curry paste
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon ground thyme

Whisk sour cream, lemon juice, curry paste, salt, pepper, curry powder, basil, and thyme together in a bowl until smooth.

I have a recipe book called Takeaway Secret: How to Cook Your Favourite Fast Food at Home which has a recipe for chip shop or Chinese style curry sauce. I've not tried it, but the book gets great reviews.

Pinch of garlic powder
1/4 tsp sugar
Pinch of turmeric
2 tbsp plain flour
2 tsp hot Madras curry powder
1 tsp sweet paprika
1/4 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2-3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 x 2.5cm/1 inch piece of ginger, finely chopped
Water

Method:
- Combine the garlic powder, sugar, turmeric, plain flour, curry powder, paprika, chilli powder and salt in a bowl
- Heat the vegetable oil in a small pan over a low heat and stir-fry the chopped garlic and ginger for a coupe of minutes or until just beginning to brown
- Add the bowl of dry ingredients and leave for 30 seconds
- Stir-fry for a further 30 seconds, the mixture will become very dry
- Add water a little at a time, stirring until well combined. Continue adding water until you have a thin sauce then it to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for a couple of minutes, stirring often, until the sauce reaches the desired consistency

I found this recipe on a website, if you are interested:

7 ½ cups sour cream
½ cup lemon juice
3 tablespoons curry paste
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon ground thyme

Whisk sour cream, lemon juice, curry paste, salt, pepper, curry powder, basil, and thyme together in a bowl until smooth.

Thanks , seems simple . I wil try it. :)

Russ

I have a recipe book called Takeaway Secret: How to Cook Your Favourite Fast Food at Home which has a recipe for chip shop or Chinese style curry sauce. I've not tried it, but the book gets great reviews.

Pinch of garlic powder
1/4 tsp sugar
Pinch of turmeric
2 tbsp plain flour
2 tsp hot Madras curry powder
1 tsp sweet paprika
1/4 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2-3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 x 2.5cm/1 inch piece of ginger, finely chopped
Water

Method:
- Combine the garlic powder, sugar, turmeric, plain flour, curry powder, paprika, chilli powder and salt in a bowl
- Heat the vegetable oil in a small pan over a low heat and stir-fry the chopped garlic and ginger for a coupe of minutes or until just beginning to brown
- Add the bowl of dry ingredients and leave for 30 seconds
- Stir-fry for a further 30 seconds, the mixture will become very dry
- Add water a little at a time, stirring until well combined. Continue adding water until you have a thin sauce then it to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for a couple of minutes, stirring often, until the sauce reaches the desired consistency

Thank you, I'll try this

Russ

Back
Top Bottom