Custard Apples

Gareth

Guru
Local time
6:11 AM
Has anyone else tried Custard Apples.
We discovered this sweet sub-tropical fruit when we were in India.
There are four members of the Annonaceae family which are commonly called Custard Apple, and in our opinion Annona squamosa is the best one of the four.
When we returned to the UK we found that Asda stocked the Annona cherimola, variety of Custard Apples
Anyway, here is a link to some pictures of the main varieties of Custard Apples and if you do see them on sale then I do recommend that you buy and try some.

In North America we have wild custard apples called pawpaws, probably because some varieties taste like papayas. In Florida there is a dwarf variety that the old natives call dog apples. If you are lucky enough to find a ripe one they are delicious, but the raccoons usually find them first. There are at least 7 varieties in North America and commercial cultivars for some of them are available. The dwarf variety that I have tasted is similar to a sweet mango in taste and varieties that taste like banana, papaya, and mango are found. I believe that other flavors are also found. Custard apples do not ship well and are actually high in protein, much like custard.

The custard apples available in India are amazingly divine. They contain anti oxidants like vitamin C which helps to fight free radicals in our body. It is also rich in potassium and magnesium that protects our heart from cardiac disease. Not only that, it also controls our blood pressure. Custard apples contain Vitamin A, which keeps your skin and hair healthy. This fruit is also known to be great for eyes and cures indigestion problems.

Back
Top Bottom