Cutting homemade pasta

Puggles

Veteran
Local time
8:37 AM
After you guys roll out your pasta, how long do you let it dry before cutting it?

I was looking at one of these:
norpro pasta pastry cutter.jpeg

(photo credit Walmart.com)
I was thinking that this might be alot easier to make Ravioli rather than using the press mold
ravioli press mold.jpg

(photo credit Amazon.com)

Yes and no on the cutter versus the mold. The mold is probably easier for beginners because you place the filling in the cups, though you do have to be careful and not overfill. Then you either use an egg wash or water around the edges, lay the top sheet of pasta on, then use a rolling pin over the top to press the pasta edges together and cut the ravioli. You don't have to worry about making sure there aren't any air pockets with the mold since the design pretty much prevents them.

The downside is that you can only make fairly small ravioli, unless they are making different size molds now. The mold I have is from when we started making pasta, so it's probably 25 plus years old.

If you roll out the pasta sheets and make dollops of filling, and I use levered scoops of different sizes for that depending on how much filling I want to use, you can make anything from small ravioli to a huge raviolo. But, you then have to use the eggwash or water around the mounds of filling, then either fold over or lay another pasta sheet on top, trying to trap as little air as possible, then use your hands to cup round the filling, trying to get any air out and sealing the pasta sheets together. Then cut to size you want. I'll be honest here, I'm a bit OCD about making sure they are sealed, so I pinch the edges as well.

I will admit though, that cutter looks like it would do a good job sealing all by itself.

Back
Top Bottom