Cutting out sugar

Local time
2:43 AM
I decided to cut sugar out of my diet after reading from various sources how toxic it can be for the body. One doctor (Robert Lustig) has done a lot of research on the topic and is very against even moderate sugar consumption. I have to say that since cutting it out, I do feel so much better. I used to be one of those people who got cranky and started feeling a little faint if I couldn't eat on time but now I find my mood and hunger levels are much more stable. I have also lost weight with almost no effort.
It's difficult to go cold turkey but the cravings go away after a week or so. Has anyone else cut sugar out of their diet? If so are you feeling benefits?

I decided to cut sugar out of my diet after reading from various sources how toxic it can be for the body. One doctor (Robert Lustig) has done a lot of research on the topic and is very against even moderate sugar consumption. I have to say that since cutting it out, I do feel so much better. I used to be one of those people who got cranky and started feeling a little faint if I couldn't eat on time but now I find my mood and hunger levels are much more stable. I have also lost weight with almost no effort.
It's difficult to go cold turkey but the cravings go away after a week or so. Has anyone else cut sugar out of their diet? If so are you feeling benefits?
Sugar is tough to quit. I just try to stay away from refined processed white sugars as much as possible. I use coconut sugar from time to time. Sugar is not necessarily the problem, the problem is where is your sugar coming from? All sugar is not created equal. Sugar from fresh fruits are very healthy.

I think cutting down on sugar is good, but there are lots of natural sugars in foods still or hidden in foods. I have a sweet tooth, so I like my sugar, but am aware of my intake as my dad is diabetic. It has made more more aware of how much sugar is in food, so I am more cautious these days. I won't cut it out completely, but awareness is always good knowledge.

Lately I have been trying to cut down on my sugar intake, but am doing so gradually. At times, however, I still find myself using more than I plan to. Old habits are hard to break. I do not use the refined white sugar, however. My family have always used brown sugar. It is true that a lot of the products we buy from the supermarket already contain sugar, though in small amounts. Tomato sauces all contain some sugar, and so does bread and peanut butter, to name a few.. Certain beverages like Milo, for instance, already contain a fair amount of sugar, so when using this beverage there is no need to add sugar, and this is what I have been trying to do over the past few months. If I am drinking tea, I find it hard to leave out the sugar altogether, but am using much less these days.

Sugar is toxic. Well now I've heard it all! :D Hahaha
People have been eating sugar for thousands of years, and suddenly yesterday it became toxic to us?

It's all about moderation. Yes of course if you eat 500 grams of sugar a day it's not good for you. Just like drinking 20 liters of water per day is not good for you either. There is nothing wrong with sugar, what is wrong is people consuming ridiculous amounts of sugar. I can understand doing things like cutting off sodas, stopping putting sugar in your coffee/tea, not eating candy etc. Too much is too much, but there is nothing wrong with sugar itself.

Sugar is toxic. Well now I've heard it all! :D Hahaha
People have been eating sugar for thousands of years, and suddenly yesterday it became toxic to us?

It's all about moderation. Yes of course if you eat 500 grams of sugar a day it's not good for you. Just like drinking 20 liters of water per day is not good for you either. There is nothing wrong with sugar, what is wrong is people consuming ridiculous amounts of sugar. I can understand doing things like cutting off sodas, stopping putting sugar in your coffee/tea, not eating candy etc. Too much is too much, but there is nothing wrong with sugar itself.

Actually if you look at the diets of our ancestors they did eat sugar but probably only a few berries here and there and maybe some honey if they were lucky enough to find some. I am considering sugar as anything that spikes blood sugar, so that includes processed and cane sugar, wheat, rice, potatoes, vegetables and fruit. I eat as much veg as I like, I limit my fruit/potatoes to about one or two portions a day and stay away from pure sugar (processed or unprocessed) as much as possible.
If you look at some of the recent research anything that spikes blood sugar is detrimental to the heart and overall metabolic health in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom