Cutting Rib Eyes

Rocklobster

Legendary Member
Local time
5:13 AM
Cutting and wrapping some rib eye steaks for the freezer..this is AAA Black Angus beef..usually we can get 16-20 steaks per piece depending on the thickness and size of the cut...

Not sure what AAA means. I'm guessing it's part of the Canadian grading system. The USDA uses Select, Choice and Prime, from lowest to highest graded beef.

Certified Angus means the same thing here.

CD

We have Triple A, Double A or lower..we used to have A but they don't use it any more because it isn't desireable..they call it ungraded so you think you might have a chance to get a good one..you do, sometimes...we sell cases of ungraded steaks and for the most part they aren't bad..you will get the odd gnarly piece of shoe leather but our commercial industry is pretty good so even a bad steak is edible these days..people buy them for the price...at least you don't expect premium....

We have Triple A, Double A or lower..we used to have A but they don't use it any more because it isn't desireable..they call it ungraded so you think you might have a chance to get a good one..you do, sometimes...we sell cases of ungraded steaks and for the most part they aren't bad..you will get the odd gnarly piece of shoe leather but our commercial industry is pretty good so even a bad steak is edible these days..people buy them for the price...at least you don't expect premium....

We also have ungraded beef for sale here. It is usually the cheep stuff. A lot of ground beef is ungraded. If a package just says 80/20 Ground Beef, it could be any cut, usually scraps/trimmings.

USDA Select and Ungraded are pretty much the same quality, IMO. I buy Choice or Prime. I also prefer grass finished -- all cattle here starts off grass fed in pastures, but if it isn't grass finished, the cattle spend the last few months of life in feed lots, eating corn to fatten them up in a hurry.

CD

That's pretty good looking marbled meat. You trim like I do, leave a bit of fat on. I'd happily eat that, cooked blue of course. I must look at out labelling.

Russ

Labelling doesn't sat quality, however my friend butcher has 55 years experience, he chose mine from about 20 choices. I know it's premium.

Russ
Do they keep beef cattle in barns for extended periods during the cold season in New Zealand?

No mostly all are paddock reared and not fed grains. I'm sure that's why outs is pretty good world quality.

Russ
Our beef is very good here, too...but it is pricey..Here in Canada, the winter temps can easily go down to -20 to -30 so they can to spend months in barns which drives up the cost..they do go out but head indoors to eat and when it gets very cold...they also eat more in colder months so that drives up feed costs..The beef in the picture is from the province of Alberta which is the largest beef producer in Canada..

Our beef is very good here, too...but it is pricey..Here in Canada they can to spend months in barns which drives up the cost..they do go out but head indoors to eat and when it gets very cold...they also eat more in colder months so that drives up feed costs..

Don't really hear about kanuk beef here, I know we import bacon from you guys. A friends wife worked for a bacon company. Beehive.

Russ

Don't really hear about kanuk beef here, I know we import bacon from you guys. A friends wife worked for a bacon company. Beehive.

Russ
Most of our beef goes to the US...China and Japan get a lot of it also..that is why the price is high..free trade

Our beef is very good here, too...but it is pricey..Here in Canada, the winter temps can easily go down to -20 to -30 so they can to spend months in barns which drives up the cost..they do go out but head indoors to eat and when it gets very cold...they also eat more in colder months so that drives up feed costs..The beef in the picture is from the province of Alberta which is the largest beef producer in Canada..

Alberta is a Northern extension of the North American "beef belt." Texas is the Southern end. They can stay out all year down here. If wild grasses are depleted, they just add hay or straw for the cattle to eat. That happens more with drought than with cold weather. There is a 3,000 acre ranch a few blocks from my house. They move the cattle around from pasture to pasture to let the natural grasses grow back.

Canada has respectable cattle production, with 12,000 at any given time. NZ is not far behind at 10,000. Texas alone has about 13,000.

CD

Back
Top Bottom