Daft Question Time: Little Quirks

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
1:26 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
OK - you have been warned. This is one of those little daft things. A quirk of my husband's and I am not kidding.

He likes his cutlery drawer arranged in a certain manner. We have to have a cutlery tray in the drawer and the teaspoons must be at the front. After that, it has to be, from left to right, knife, fork, dessert spoon. We don't use soup spoons and the long handled teaspoons (latte spoons) don't usually have a home, so a loose in the drawer unless there is a 4th slot in the tray long enough. And the cutlery drawer must be the top drawer (my parent's have it as the 2nd drawer down which just feels wrong to both of us).

So what little quirks are there in your household and I don't mean the human being types! :giggle:

Our cutlery drawer is also a top drawer.
Except mine is backwards to yours. Probably because I put the tray in backwards. Yes, on purpose.

Last edited:
My cutlery drawer is arranged similarly. We have another cutlery drawer for the Thai "Uri Geller" type of eating utensils. Both are top drawers.

Virtually all Thais eat with just fork and spoons. They don't use knives at the table because their cooked food does not need cutting.

The fork and spoon below are used for rice and noodle dishes, the peculiar shaped spoon is for soups and the like.

fork and spoons.jpg

Most of the cutlery is made from a very cheap metal which bends when put under the slightest pressure, hence the Uri Geller reference.

uri fork.jpg

I'm really bad for all the labels on cans and jars having to face the front. My OH will put them in any old how. Chickpeas have to be stacked with chickpeas, baked beans with baked beans, chopped tomatoes don't get mixed with crushed tomatoes and so on.

I also have a 'bad' or 'irritating' eating habit.
I love mixed things such as mixed nuts and mixed nuts and berries, but and this is the big but... I hate the mixed flavours in my mouth or maybe it is the mixed textures I don't know. Somewhere along the line I have started to pick all the same type of things out of my portion, and eat them in turn. So if there are peanuts, hazelnuts, walnuts, raisins, sultanas, etc in a mixed nuts and fruit packet, then I will sit and pick out my least favourite first, eat those, then my the least favourite of what is left, and so on until my favourite is the only thing left and I can eat them. It annoys my OH and I wasn't even aware I was doing it until our aborted round the world cycle tour when my OH started to by nuts and fruit and mixed them together. He caught me picking at them separately and basically undoing what he had done in the first place :whistling:

lol

What else - I do something similar on when eating as well. (So does the older of my 2 brothers). We will eat the least favourite item on our plate, often pulling our favourite bites to the side. This can be as simple as the topping to something, or any mushrooms we come across... all the chips, or even all the peas... and we eat what we love the most last.
My OH does exactly the opposite because his brothers were not above nicking things off each others plates, so they ate their favourite first.

@SatNavSaysStraightOn ,
If I have two similar items, say whole kernel corn and cream style corn. I prefer them on two different shelves. That isn't a quirk. That is a find what you need easily.

@SatNavSaysStraightOn ,
If I have two similar items, say whole kernel corn and cream style corn. I prefer them on two different shelves. That isn't a quirk. That is a find what you need easily.
For me, they would be side by side, but not in the same 'column' and not stacked on top of each other. I would just know from the front of the label which was which - my OH on the other hand doesn't read things as one too many of my threads probably indicates.... such as the spelt bread with orange juice suddenly became spelt bread with orange, mandarin and grapefruit juice because he saw the word orange and read no further when buying the juice at the weekend. The same with my mini pita lites, I always have wholemeal, he came home with white.

Knife ,fork ,spoon left to right in the drawer and smaller cutlery the same,
And when laying a table triple cutlery I always do it the same way
Every thing else gets thrown in larder cupboards or hid if I don't want my boys to eat it!

For me, they would be side by side, but not in the same 'column' and not stacked on top of each other.

So how do you organise the contents of your freezer. My stuff just gets put in wherever there is space (upright freezer). I am constantly surprised as what is in there after removing an item that has been obscuring the view. I discovered a frozen woolly mammoth in there earlier this year!

So how do you organise the contents of your freezer. My stuff just gets put in wherever there is space (upright freezer). I am constantly surprised as what is in there after removing an item that has been obscuring the view. I discovered a frozen woolly mammoth in there earlier this year!
Everything had its home. I'm systematic and rather a perfectionist which is a real pain sometimes. Loaves of bread bottom right shelf left hand side. Unopened frozen veg stacked flat on top of each other on the bottom shelf right. Top shelf comes home-made stuff in boxes or wrappers usually on the right, wraps which need to be stored flat are to shelf left with the frozen pastry sheets, in the door are bottles of frozen home-made coconut milk and various frozen herbs and spices...

I may have a touch of OCD but I was always taught to ensure everything had its home, so that when you wanted something you knew where it was. My OH will just ask me where something is and I can tell him exactly where it is and what container it is in. Same right down to the 3 spice racks, which shelf on which rack and whether left, right or middle.

I'm the same with holes in a road (even if only travelled the once as a passenger), if I read something I can tell you where a certain paragraph is or phrase, reference is, not to the line number and word count, but certainly to a pattern on the page, which page, top middle bottom, how far into the paragraph and roughly where on the line etc. It does mean I find things easily and I know where everything is. It's also a drag for some people to live with me and some fine it an issue. I don't understand how my OH can not know he had left something behind when packing up because for me, if I took 6 items out... And i know exactly where those items came from so they go back into the same place... So I'll know which item is missing by the hole. It's a bit of a problem I guess really!

Back
Top Bottom