Dairy free margarine

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
12:31 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I know of a number of dairy free margarines, but are there any that you like? I am because I'm not that keen on the one we appear to have settled on at home, and it is fine/great to cook with but I don't like the taste of it on my sandwiches or toast and have taken to either using an avacado mashed into the bread for savoury sandwiches or simply having dry toast and jam if having toast.

I'm currently using the Pure range which has an olive, a sunflower and a soya version. The soya version is best for baking with making a beautiful soft sponge with no obvious aftertaste. The olive is the one my husband prefers so that is the one we get and the sunflower version is the one that neither of us really likes.

There are one or two olive oil or olive margarines that are by chance dairy free but they tend to be Italian imports or similar that are twice the price of everything else for the tiniest of containers and whilst they taste good, they are £££ and not financially viable for anyone other than the producer!

So what others are there please? And where are you buying them from?

PS I'm in the UK.

Our margarine is always the Star brand. We had inherited the use of that from our parents and grandparents. It is normally used in cooking and now we also use it ONLY for cooking. For breakfast, we have butter, the Anchor brand which is also time tested by our family. For the margarine, we use it to fry the pork that we mix in the Menudo dish. That frying gives the flavor to the pork so when it is mixed with the sauce, the taste is indescribably delicious.

Our margarine is always the Star brand. We had inherited the use of that from our parents and grandparents. It is normally used in cooking and now we also use it ONLY for cooking. For breakfast, we have butter, the Anchor brand which is also time tested by our family. For the margarine, we use it to fry the pork that we mix in the Menudo dish. That frying gives the flavor to the pork so when it is mixed with the sauce, the taste is indescribably delicious.
Sadly most margarine in the UK and western Europe contains dairy to make it creamier. I can't have dairy (so no butter, no milk etc) so I am looking for an alternative to the milk/dairy free margarine I am currently using because I don't like it.

I always use Vitalite, as I am vegan and I use it in place of butter and never even think or notice the difference! Pretty cheap from most places too, about £1 a tub I think. I use it on toast, crackers, baking, etc.

Back
Top Bottom