Recipe Dan Dan Noodles

Frizz1974

Veteran
Local time
7:09 PM
This is my version of Dan Dan Noodles.

D620647E-97AE-41DD-8E1B-3CB2C725DEC1.jpeg

Dan Dan is the name for the contraption used for carrying 2 buckets on a pole across the the shoulders in the Szechwan Provence of China.

I don't measure a lot in cooking & I taste as I go but my rough guide for these types of stir fry dishes is 100-125gm meat per person + 1.5 - 2 cups of vegetables and rough 100gm of noodles each too.

Serves 4 hungry people.

500gm beef mince
1 tsp salt
1 Tbls honey
2 tsp chunky ground black pepper
2 tsp ground Szechwan pepper

1 Tbls canola or peanut oil
3 cloves garlic, sliced
2 red chillies, sliced (use what you like)
4 spring onions, sliced - white & greens separated.
6 cups vegetables - sliced & diced however you prefer
Boiled instant ramen or thin egg noodles.
1/4 cup light soy or blend of light & dark
2 tsp sesame oil
Chilli oil to taste

Brown the beef in a dry pan ( non stick or cast iron) with some salt until really brown and starting to crisp.
Add honey, black pepper & Szechwan pepper, stirring until you see it become shiny - set the beef aside.

Add oil to hot wok, add aromats - garlic, spring onion whites & red chilli then add in veggies to stir fry
Add in boiled instant ramen noodles or fresh egg noodles.
Season with soy sauce, chilli oil & sesame oil.
Top with beef & spring onion greens.

Last edited:
I can make a vegan version by using vegan soy mince and subbing golden syrup for honey - my son is going to love this. I'll post a photo when I do it.

I can make a vegan version by using vegan soy mince and subbing golden syrup for honey - my son is going to love this. I'll post a photo when I do it.
Why not just make part of the dish vegan for your son? Although the entire dish looks fantastic, it probably wouldn't be so special for me without the meat.

Why not just make part of the dish vegan for your son? Although the entire dish looks fantastic, it probably wouldn't be so special for me without the meat.

I could - but everyone here is happy with the soy mince as a substitute. Its a fantastic tasting product which I get from Ocado (on line supermarket). I could write an advert for it - its that good. Usually soya mince is bland and cardboard tasting. This one isn't.

358971011_0_640x640.jpg

I'd be really interested to hear how this stands up to browning & the glazing in honey.

I'm not sure how good the available substitutes are here. I have several veggo friends that use them but I've never cooked with them as I love cooking them veg dishes & use beans, chickpeas & lentils for protein bulk

I'd be really interested to hear how this stands up to browning & the glazing in honey.

I haven't tried frying it until almost crisp but it does stand up to frying. Its already brown in colour so it would be hard to say if it was browned by cooking. As for the glazing, we will see. :)

Back
Top Bottom