Dansk Casserole

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
7:03 AM
I cashed in some of my employee reward points and ordered this 2-quart enameled casserole from Dansk:

Not my favorite color, but I do have other stuff that's close to that, so it should be fine.

I cashed in some of my employee reward points and ordered this 2-quart enameled casserole from Dansk:

View attachment 70387

Not my favorite color, but I do have other stuff that's close to that, so it should be fine.

I also have one in that same size & color!! I was trying to find a larger size, but I imagine that they are no longer availible!! 😱

View attachment 70387

This reminds of what is called a tureen. Tureens come with a matching ladle as they are used as a serving vessel for soups.

Related, are Turrines, for vegetables. Unlike tureens, turrines are not the vessel, but the dish itself. Turrines might be the content of your casserole at some time, as you might see fit.

Tureens are not typical for household dishware for whatever reason. They might often be necessary in restaurants or households where waiters or hired cooks serve food. But there is no reason why a tureen can't be used in any house.

Can a tureen be used for gravies and sauces? Why not? It would serve well for those.

View attachment 70387

A few years ago I spent a while trying to obtain some Dansk after I saw it in a Jamie Oliver show. Its impossible to get it here - or it was, last time I looked.

A few years ago I spent a while trying to obtain some Dansk after I saw it in a Jamie Oliver show. Its impossible to get it here - or it was, last time I looked.
The vintage stuff is hard to find here, and apparently commands a hefty price. The new pieces seem easy enough. They're on Amazon, for example.

I might add to my post above that the proper vessel for gravy is a gravy pitcher, not a tureen. I only meant to say that a tureen could be used for gravy and sauces, if needs be. But properly, a tureen is for soups.

The vintage stuff is hard to find here, and apparently commands a hefty price. The new pieces seem easy enough. They're on Amazon, for example.

I DID go back to Amazon to look. The 4-1/2 qt size is expensive there, costing well over $100!! I have to think about that. This item has been around since about the '70's!! 😱

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom