Deep fat frying ... again ... appliance or open pan ?

Do you prefer a deep fryer machine or manual on the stove top ?

• Total voters

Roger Burton

Local time
10:40 AM
Website
www.rogerburton.co.uk
Hi chaps I have mentioned my dilemma previously but continue to struggle, I have a very expensive d/f fryer, it's main "superior" function is it can drain the oil after use but it still has a heating element at the bottom of the 'pan' and a basket. I'm seriously considering going back to a big pan on the hob with a thermometer and a spider to retrieve the food then the battered stuff can't stick to the basket or the heating element 'cause they're not there ! I appreciate the 'safety' aspect of the machine but hope I could be disciplined enough to attend the thing closely ... forgive my repeating an earlier question ...

I have a deep fryer. It is just easier to keep a good temperature.

As for sticking to the basket, lower your battered food into the oil slowly, so it get a little crust as it goes in. Never put battered food in the basket before putting the basket in the oil. That will stick every time. Put the basket into the oil, and slowly lower each piece of battered food into the oil. The basket works as your spider.

CD

I have a fryer, we both dislike the smell of deep frying fish and meat ect even with a professionally installed external vented Bosch extractor it permeates everywhere. We use the fryer on the balcony by the weber grill. The smell is the sole reason.

Here's mine. The Presto Big Kitchen Kettle.

I have a fryer, we both dislike the smell of deep frying fish and meat ect even with a professionally installed external vented Bosch extractor it permeates everywhere. We use the fryer on the balcony by the weber grill. The smell is the sole reason.

Oh, I LOVE the aromas of fish and meat - I don't deep fry fish or meat often for other reasons (just sometimes).

I remember at one point in my childhood (aged 9) I hated the smell of broccoli cooking. But I liked broccoli. (Okay, the kid didn't like peas or brussels sprouts or lima beans, so in many ways I was a typical kid) I tried my first cigarette age 9 because I wondered if broccoli smelled awful, but tasted good, maybe cigarettes would do the same. (My parents were both smokers). So when my cousin and her friend offered me one... (yes, they were my same age...)

Nope.

But I still love the scents of nearly all foods , no matter HOW they are cooked. Okay, not if they burn inadvertently... Or if they've rotted.

Mine also has the basket, and battered fish used to stick to the basket. I now leave the basket out, place fish in, it doesn't stick, then use tongs to pick fish up and put it in the basket. I do this a lot.
Perfect cooked.

Russ
If you "temper" the fish before allowing it loose in the basket, i.e., giving the coating a head start by holding it at the surface and moving it gently back and forth, it will not stick to the basket.

Interesting MC ref. the aromas reminds me of something the owner of our favourite 'chippie' (for non uk 'Fish and Chip' shop) said to me, he has worked in and lived above the place for ever, inherited from his Dad, I asked him if he ever got fed up and he said "no, I love the look and feel of fish and the pleasure of cooking a good chip and the smell of the place" (place not plaice).

Oh, I LOVE the aromas of fish and meat - I don't deep fry fish or meat often for other reasons (just sometimes).

I remember at one point in my childhood (aged 9) I hated the smell of broccoli cooking. But I liked broccoli. (Okay, the kid didn't like peas or brussels sprouts or lima beans, so in many ways I was a typical kid) I tried my first cigarette age 9 because I wondered if broccoli smelled awful, but tasted good, maybe cigarettes would do the same. (My parents were both smokers). So when my cousin and her friend offered me one... (yes, they were my same age...)

Nope.

But I still love the scents of nearly all foods , no matter HOW they are cooked. Okay, not if they burn inadvertently... Or if they've rotted.
I don't like the smell of fish, unless it's something like cod, which doesn't seem to have much smell. It's why I can't even sit in a waiting area of a seafood restaurant will turning green.

Chicken is another one that really, really smells bad when it's cooking - thinking bone-in, skin-on, mainly. We both love hot wings, but rarely make them because of the smell, and making stock is a stinky affair to me.

Back
Top Bottom