Recipe Deep-Fried Egg Yolk

MypinchofItaly

Forum GOD!
Local time
4:30 PM
Website
mypinchofitaly.co.uk

Serves 4, Preparation time 15-20 mins + about 3 hours refrigerate, Cooking time for each yolk – 1 minute

• Egg, 8 (we estimated 2 yolks each guest)
  • Breadcrumbs, to taste
  • Peanuts oil for a deep-frying, 1lt
  • a pinch of salt
  • Fresh baby spinach, to taste
Method

In a bowl or in a plate, create a thick layer of breadcrumbs.

Separate delicately yolks from whites and set aside the latter.

Gently lay each yolk on the layer of breadcrumbs taking care not to stick them too much to each other.

Whole-Yolk-150x150.jpg

Add more breadcrumbs until yolks are completely covered.

Tuorlo-sommerso-nel-pangrattato-150x150.jpg

Cover with another plate and put to rest in the fridge for at least three hours.

Heat the oil in a pan.

Tip: to know if oil is hot enough, do the tootpick test by dipping it halfay down in the oil: if bubbles form around it, oil is ready.
Gently, release the yolks from the excess breadcrumbs by placing them on a skimmer and let the excess breadcrumbs falling down.

Tuorlo-impanato-150x150.jpg

Place the skimmer with the breaded yolk in the pan and fry it for 40” max 1′ in the boiling oil. Frying two at a time and take off from the oil with the skimmer.

Frying-breaded-yolk-150x150.jpg

Tip: a longer frying time risks to cook the yolk completely whilst it has to remain runny inside. That’s the key of this recipe!

Fried yolks ready! Place them on the spinach so that each friend/guest can break their own yolk and eat it together with spinach.

Ok, but what about the egg whites?

Egg whites can be frozen by putting them in small plastic bowls closed with a lid or in a plastic glass covered with transparent film. Don’t freeze them for no longer than 3 months. They won’t lose their capacity to be whipped. To use them, simply take them out of the freezer and let them defrost overnight in the fridge and consume them within 24 hours.

I saw Jacques Pepin do something similar to this once. I've yet to do it myself, as I don't do much deep-frying.

I saw Jacques Pepin do something similar to this once. I've yet to do it myself, as I don't do much deep-frying.

I saw Carlo Cracco do it a few times and I liked it a lot but I hadn't dared to do it yet. Rather than a matter of frying that is in itself quite fast, it is a matter of delicacy in handling the yolks, before and after. Maybe the easiest part was getting the eggs out of the fridge :laugh:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom