Deep fried eggs?

Herbie

Veteran
Local time
10:45 AM
Has anyone (@Yorky ?) tried deep frying a boiled or poached egg? I am thinking of giving it a go but pretty sure it will either end in tears or just be more work than it is worth.

You could always go the Scotch egg route.

Another thing on my list. I don' eat pork but I can try making a vegetarian one. I think my husband would love a proper pork one as has not eaten one for years since he found out about his gluten problem.

I saw the deep fried egg on a cookery programme (I think masterchef) and was intrigued.

Has anyone (@Yorky ?) tried deep frying a boiled or poached egg? I am thinking of giving it a go but pretty sure it will either end in tears or just be more work than it is worth.

Not deep fried but shallow fried hard boiled eggs:

dum eggs.jpg

For Dum.

These have been "stuffed" and battered and then deep fried.
When I first saw @Herbie's post, this is the sort of thing I imagined. These look terrific.

Then, I remembered a mind-blowingly delicious creation from Chartreuse, a Detroit eatery. It's the Twice Cooked Egg. My life was incomplete before I ate this, and I didn't know it. They poach an egg, then bread it and deep-fry it. This magical creation is then placed on a bed of frisee with brussels sprouts and balsamic vinaigrette.

I think I know what I'm going to make next!

twice-egg-chartreuse.jpg

When I first saw @Herbie's post, this is the sort of thing I imagined. These look terrific.

Then, I remembered a mind-blowingly delicious creation from Chartreuse, a Detroit eatery. It's the Twice Cooked Egg. My life was incomplete before I ate this, and I didn't know it. They poach an egg, then bread it and deep-fry it. This magical creation is then placed on a bed of frisee with brussels sprouts and balsamic vinaigrette.

I think I know what I'm going to make next!

twice-egg-chartreuse.jpg
Yes, that is the sort of thing I was thinking about. That and a boiled egg version.

I think we have reached an unconscious consensus for the next Cookalong - deep fried eggs (including Scotch eggs), which have also been discussed recently. I've been quietly waiting for a suitable dish to emerge... and this is it.

Last edited:
My estranged SIL is from the backwoods of Virgina. The last time we visited her, she made for us a typical Appalachian breakfast as a treat.

First, she poured a bottle of corn oil into a large cast iron frying pan and cracked in a dozen eggs.
The eggs effectively poached in the oil for a minute, then they were set aside.
Next, she added crumbled sausage to the oil to brown. Finally, she stirred in flour, butter, and cream straight into th pool of remaining oil to make sausage gravy to go on top of freshly made southern style biscuits.

While I had a heart attack watching her make it, OMG, oil poached eggs, and biscuits and sausage gravy is a thing to behold.

Back
Top Bottom