Deep fried pork skins

Rosyrain

Veteran
Local time
1:58 PM
Well I guess they are called pork rinds, but does anyone here eat these deep fried delights? I used to eat them with my mom all the time when I was young, but have not had them in forever. Do any of you make them homemade?

Do you mean Pork Scratchings? They are a traditional pub snack in the UK (not so much these days, but you can still buy them). Delicious!
scratchings.jpg

I like crackling pork skin cooked with salt cut into shapes but pork scratching not so keen on they seem to be puffs of greesy crispy air filled lard

We call them "chicharon" in my native language. We usually have these pork skins for snacks or dressed on salads or noodles. They usually come with a vinegar dip with salt and additives.

I had seen a recipe that is similar to chicharones or pork skin cracklings. Instead of using the pork rinds they use tendons. Pardon my ignorance I do not know which part a tendon is but they look really thin and crisp. The process is too tedious for me they boiled the tendons, cut them too thinly using a machine, dehydrate them and finally fried them. They cook so quickly and the texture very lovely.

I must say I have never seen them or even heard of them. I guess they are just not something that you can get around here or something people make. I would be interested in giving them a try though.

I must say I have never seen them or even heard of them. I guess they are just not something that you can get around here or something people make. I would be interested in giving them a try though.
This site says the are called Scrunchions in Newfoundland and Oreilles de Christ (Christ Ears) in Quebec. http://mrtrotters.com/world.html
However, when I looked these terms up, it seems they are made with different parts of the pig - but I think the concept is similar.

Reactions: L_B
Caribbean girl can correct me if I am wrong, but I don't know we have that much if at all around here. I know a few people who like the fat from the pork when fried or baked but I don't know about the fried pork rinds or scratchings. I'll be asking around for sure. The thread caught me because I am herebaking some pork and would you believe my husband cut off all of the skin? Yup.

I may say when I was still younger I also used to eat pork skin cracklings and it really taste good! But now I am avoiding it already because as we all know eating this kind of food stuff is not good if we are going to eat this regularly. Those were the days and now I just can't help myself to take a glance when ever I see this in the grocery store or supermarket.

I love pork skins, chicharones, cracklins or whatever you chose to call fried pork skin. I am diabetic so I look for low carb snacks and these do fall into that catagory. I do not eat them often. I have never attempted to make them from scratch, however; in the Mexican grocery stores here you can buy them ready to fry. Or at least, when fried they are similiar. They are little flat rounds that sort of resemble a wagon wheel and when you drop them in hot oil, they puff up. They come in a plastic bag and are not expensive.

Caribbean girl can correct me if I am wrong, but I don't know we have that much if at all around here. I know a few people who like the fat from the pork when fried or baked but I don't know about the fried pork rinds or scratchings. I'll be asking around for sure. The thread caught me because I am herebaking some pork and would you believe my husband cut off all of the skin? Yup.
And binned it?!

And binned it?!

No, he cooked it for the dogs. So he had his baked pork free of all fat and skin. I have a nephew who would have been disappointed if he came and saw there was no fat or skin. He could sit and eat it all. I have to confess I can't eat the fat but might be able to chew on the skin on the odd occasion. I think my dogs might be disappointed that it does not have the flavours they prefer. By the way, I'd love to see what that Mr Porky thing looks like outside of the package.

Do you mean Pork Scratchings? They are a traditional pub snack in the UK (not so much these days, but you can still buy them). Delicious!
View attachment 1571
Those are them! Except we call them pork rinds and fried pig skins here. I love the terminology for British things as the names of everything sound so much better than what we Americans call different things. My favorite right now is "butty" which is what you all call french fry sandwiches. I am really shocked that those sandwiches are not mainstream here the the US because they sound so good!

This site says the are called Scrunchions in Newfoundland and Oreilles de Christ (Christ Ears) in Quebec. http://mrtrotters.com/world.html
However, when I looked these terms up, it seems they are made with different parts of the pig - but I think the concept is similar.

Great thanks for this information and for the link.Very interesting. You learn something new everyday.. :)

INGREDIENTS

PORK RINDS:

1 large piece pork skin, trimmed of excess fat and nipples if present (the skin portion should be at least 1/4-inch thick, about 1 1/2 pounds)

Lard and/or peanut oil

SPICY-SWEET SEASONING BLEND:
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon maple sugar
1/2 teaspoon ancho chile powder

FIVE-SPICE SEASONING BLEND:
1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt

RICHMOND'S DIPPING SAUCE:
1/2 cup vinegar (rice wine, apple cider or white distilled)
2 tablespoons fish sauce
1 tablespoon chili paste (sambal) or crushed red pepper flakes
2 cloves garlic, smashed

DIRECTIONS

For the pork: Put the pork skin in a large pot and cover with water. Weigh down with a plate to keep it submerged. Bring the water to a boil and cook until the skin is soft and pliable but not falling apart and the water is white, 1 1/2 to 2 hours (adding more water as needed).

Carefully remove with a large spider or slotted spoon and arrange the skin in an even layer, with no folds, on a cooling rack set over a baking sheet. Discard the cooking water. Put in the fridge, uncovered, and allow to cool until completely cold, about 2 hours.

Once the skin is cold, use a spoon or bench scraper to remove all subcutaneous fat, being careful not to tear the skin. Place the scraped skin on a rack set over a baking sheet. Set the oven to its lowest possible setting (ours was at 200 degrees F) and dehydrate the skin overnight, until dry, brown and brittle.

For the spicy-sweet blend: Mix the salt, sugar and chile powder in a small bowl.
For the five-spice blend: Mix the five-spice and salt in a bowl.

For the dipping sauce: Mix the vinegar, fish sauce, chili paste and garlic in a small bowl.

To fry the pork skins: Snap the skin into small (1-inch square) pieces. Heat a deep-sided pot with about 4 inches of lard, peanut oil or a combination of the two to 385 to 400 degrees F. Fry one square at a time, prodding it until it puffs up and turns crispy, about 15 seconds. Remove to a paper-towel-lined tray and season with one of the spice blends while hot. Serve immediately or to cool to room temperature. Serve with Richmond's dipping sauce if desired.

You can also store the squares in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days before frying.

Back
Top Bottom