Recipe Dehydrating Strawberries; Dehydrating Grape Tomatoes

Mountain Cat

Veteran
Local time
2:42 PM
Website
goatsandgreens.wordpress.com
I use an Excalibur 5-tray dehydrator for my dehydration efforts. They also sell a 9-tray one, and they also sell both sized models with timers - which I find are unnecessary. Because timing will depend on ambient humidity and such to begin with.

I am NOT a sweet tooth, so these are about the only fruits I will dehydrate.

strawberries-post.jpg

The strawberries, above.

tomatoes-post.jpg

The grape tomatoes, above.

Prep time: Strawberries – about eight-ten minutes per tray. Grape tomatoes: about 5 minutes per tray.
Cook” time: It depends, but don’t expect immediate gratification. At least four hours, six or eight may be the way to go.
Rest time: Huh?
Serves: Reserve in air-tight containers for multi-purpose needs.

Strawberries, Dehydrated
  • About 4-6 ounces of strawberries per tray (Excalibur-sized). Slice about 1/4 inch thick, or less, make sure the stem/core is gone. Slice horizontal or vertical.
Grape Tomatoes, Dehydrated
  • About 4 ounces of grape tomatoes per tray (Excalibur-sized). Slice the larger ones into threes (horizontally), the smaller ones into twos (horizontally).
Dehydration:

Layer out the fruits so they don’t touch one another. For the tomatoes, put skin side down (if this is a section with skin). For the strawberries, it doesn’t matter what side goes down.

Place the trays into the dehydrator and set the temp to 135 F/57 C.

Let 'er rip for at least 4 hours, but depending on conditions, it may well be overnight.

Storage:

Those Ball or Mason canning jars are great for this. Recycle those used canning lids that you shouldn’t ever put through the water or pressure canning procedure again.

Uses:

I mostly use dehydrated strawberries or grape tomatoes in salads.

Adding a few broken up slices of dehydrated strawberries to vanilla or quality strawberry ice cream is also a tasty option. I’ll note that most commercial strawberry ice cream tastes extremely faux, but if you have a good local brand, go for it. You can also put slices of dehydrated strawberry in plain yogurt (choose a good brand with few if any extenders, whether local dairy, goat, or coconut yogurt). Let the berries soak in the moist yogurt overnight before consuming.

Below will show you a tray of grape tomatoes prior to dehydration - they WILL shrink down a LOT.

tomatoes-prior.jpg

Its great to have a dehydrator but its one of those items I can't justify as I wouldn't use it enough and I'm really lacking space. I do use the oven or microwave to dehydrate though. Have you tried making strawberry dust from your dried strawberries? Its totally delicious sprinkled over ice-cream for example. See here: Strawberry Dust

I've actually taken to keeping our 5 tray Excalibur in the garage. We use it for all sorts, including raw onion bread, fruit leathers, drying herbs and proofing dough, yeast, Staffordshire oatcakes plus my home-made vegan cheeses (and anything that needs a constant temperature). Ironically the one thing I haven't done in it for a long time is dry fruit which given the number of apricots we had last year is mad.

I've actually taken to keeping our 5 tray Excalibur in the garage. We use it for all sorts, including raw onion bread, fruit leathers, drying herbs and proofing dough, yeast, Staffordshire oatcakes plus my home-made vegan cheeses (and anything that needs a constant temperature). Ironically the one thing I haven't done in it for a long time is dry fruit which given the number of apricots we had last year is mad.

Ours is also in the garage, but it will end up in her garden shed, which is half wired up for light and power. I can see maybe raspberries dried as well.

Russ

Morning Glory asks: Have you tried making strawberry dust from your dried strawberries? Its totally delicious sprinkled over ice-cream

(For some reason, the quote feature isn't working right now?)

Yes, I have.

I'll post my recipe either later tonight or tomorrow morning, in its own thread in this section.

Have you tried making strawberry dust from your dried strawberries? Its totally delicious sprinkled over ice-cream for example. See here: Strawberry Dust

Morning Glory asks: Have you tried making strawberry dust from your dried strawberries? Its totally delicious sprinkled over ice-cream

(For some reason, the quote feature isn't working right now?)

Yes, I have.

I'll post my recipe either later tonight or tomorrow morning, in its own thread in this section.
Just testing. Seems ok

I want to upgrade my dehydrator to an Excalibur. I know it's one of the best. I also want to get a freeze dryer.

I use an Excalibur 5-tray dehydrator for my dehydration efforts. They also sell a 9-tray one, and they also sell both sized models with timers - which I find are unnecessary. Because timing will depend on ambient humidity and such to begin with.

I am NOT a sweet tooth, so these are about the only fruits I will dehydrate.

View attachment 29865
The strawberries, above.

View attachment 29866
The grape tomatoes, above.

Prep time: Strawberries – about eight-ten minutes per tray. Grape tomatoes: about 5 minutes per tray.
Cook” time: It depends, but don’t expect immediate gratification. At least four hours, six or eight may be the way to go.
Rest time: Huh?
Serves: Reserve in air-tight containers for multi-purpose needs

Strawberries, Dehydrated
  • About 4-6 ounces of strawberries per tray (Excalibur-sized). Slice about 1/4 inch thick, or less, make sure the stem/core is gone. Slice horizontal or vertical.
Grape Tomatoes, Dehydrated
  • About 4 ounces of grape tomatoes per tray (Excalibur-sized). Slice the larger ones into threes (horizontally), the smaller ones into twos (horizontally).
Dehydration:

Layer out the fruits so they don’t touch one another. For the tomatoes, put skin side down (if this is a section with skin). For the strawberries, it doesn’t matter what side goes down.

Place the trays into the dehydrator and set the temp to 135 F/57 C.

Let 'er rip for at least 4 hours, but depending on conditions, it may well be overnight.

Storage:

Those Ball or Mason canning jars are great for this. Recycle those used canning lids that you shouldn’t ever put through the water or pressure canning procedure again.

Uses:

I mostly use dehydrated strawberries or grape tomatoes in salads.

Adding a few broken up slices of dehydrated strawberries to vanilla or quality strawberry ice cream is also a tasty option. I’ll note that most commercial strawberry ice cream tastes extremely faux, but if you have a good local brand, go for it. You can also put slices of dehydrated strawberry in plain yogurt (choose a good brand with few if any extenders, whether local dairy, goat, or coconut yogurt). Let the berries soak in the moist yogurt overnight before consuming.

Below will show you a tray of grape tomatoes prior to dehydration - they WILL shrink down a LOT.

View attachment 29867
I've never used one. Yours looks great. I bet the strawberries would be wonderful in oatmeal, as well. I like peaches in oatmeal too.

Back
Top Bottom