Dehydrators

Rachele

Veteran
Local time
9:16 AM
I am looking at getting a food dehydrator. I have checked out the Excalibur range online and the reviews are really good. Does anyone actually have a dehydrator, Excalibur or otherwise? What's your experience of using one?

Yep I have an Excalibur one. Well I have actually had 2 of them, but gave my 9 drawer one to my brother in law and purchased a 5 drawer/tray one instead. they take a lot of room up, but a well worth it. I picked up both of mine 2nd hand off ebay, after some very careful bidding and not going over a self imposed limit. My 2nd one is much quieter than the first one - didn't bother getting one with a timer 2nd time around because I found it unnecessary on the first one.
It can also double as a 'incubator' for proving bread & yeast as well which is handy! Mine is usually one at least once a week for 24-36 hours!

I never thought of looking on Ebay, that's an excellent tip - especially as I see you are in the UK like me. I will definitely look at what Ebay has to offer.

Great tip for using it as an incubator. I have always had trouble culturing yogurt and buttermilk and wintertime while I had perfectly good home-built dehydrator standing around. I mainly use to cure and dry a type of meat snack called biltong which is similar to beef jerky.

Back
Top Bottom