Recipe Delicious Sourdough Dumplings For Soup

Sherry

Veteran
Local time
9:44 AM
Yesterday I was making some chicken soup and decided I'd like dumplings in it. I didn't really have time to spend on my favorite rolled dumplings so I turned to the internet and found a very easy recipe for sourdough dumplings.
You just put all of the ingredients in a bowl and mix well, but not too well--think biscuits. Then you roll the dough into small balls and drop into your simmering soup (mine was in a slow-cooker.).
The dumplings do double in size, so keep that in mind when making your balls. They don't look all that pretty, either; but they real are light and tasty. I think next time, I will try these same dumplings, but will roll them and let them dry some before I put them in the pot just to see how they do. I'm betting they'll be terrific.
Actually, Im not so sure you couldn't just drop the dumplings by teaspoons full into the pot and bypass the ball-making altogether.
Anyway, here is the recipe:

1 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sourdough starter
2 tablespoons oil
1 egg

Let simmer for fifteen to twenty minutes til doubled and tender.

Wow. My mouth is watering after reading this. My mom used to make chicken dumplings when I was a kid. I have not ate them in over twenty years. What soup do you think this would work the best with? I have not had dumplings in anything except chicken broth. I am ready to give this a try, but I want to make sure I add it to the right soup.

Chicken and dumplings or chicken and vegetable soup with dumplings are both big favorites with me. Dumplings are also good in beef and vegetable soups and they turned out very well when I put them in my Christmas hambone soup. I think, basically, these dumplings would do well in any meat or meat and vegetable soups, although I am not sure about tomato based soups. They may work well in those, too; but I can't say as I haven't given it a try.
You know, I think I just might, though, sometime soon.
I've even kind of wondered if they might not be good stuffed with spinach and covered with tomato sauce--like gnocchi.

Concerning the recipe above, I should probably have mentioned that as the dumplings are cooking they do tend to come together on the top of the broth as they rise. They make a rather unattractive lump and the tendency is to stir and break that up; but don't. Just let it be til done, otherwise your dumplings will just fall apart and be more of a thickener in your soup than anything else.
While tender and delicious, these dumplings are not going to be as attractive (my thoughts) as a thinly rolled and cut dumpling. The consistency, of course, differs as well. It's just a whole different kind of dumpling altogether, but quick and altogether very good. I find myself choosing to make them quite often.

Here it is fairly early yet, and I am craving dumplings! Thank you for the information. I would try dumplings in pretty much any soup or broth, at least once. I don't think tomato-based soups would be quite as good, but that may be from preconceived notions of it being "appropriate" in chicken broth. I have seen the dumplings converge, and probably would not break them up unless testing to see if they were done. I wish my family was more open to such things, but I don't see them eating this. This was a staple when I was growing up, alongside biscuits.

I totally agree with what you said about having the preconceived notion that dumplings are most appropriate in chicken broth. It took me awhile to branch out and use them in other soups; and, I believe, that it probably has a lot to do with my not yet having tried them in tomato based soups. Just doesn't sound quite right, does it?
I am floored to think that your family might not eat chicken and dumplings. Or biscuits, either?
It makes me wonder, from where does your family originate?
It could be I'm tired of all the holiday kinds of foods I've been eating. Or it might be that it's a really wet, soggy day here, but I've got a taste for a good homemade, deep-dish pizza. I'm just getting ready to start my dough at the moment.:)

Back
Top Bottom