Recipe Deutsches Ei (German Egg - A Spin On A Scotch Egg)

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
2:13 PM
DEUTSCHES EI (GERMAN EGG - A SPIN ON A SCOTCH EGG)
Makes 4 eggs

Ingredients
4 eggs, boiled to your preference and peeled
1/2-lb bratwurst sausages, casings removed
3 TB AP flour
1 egg (for coating)
1 tsp milk
2 cups pretzel bread breadcrumbs
Enough frying oil to fill a dutch oven or other deep-fryer to 3-to-4 inches
Salt, to taste

Directions
1. Heat oil to 350F and place a cooling rack over a sheet pan.
2. Place flour in a shallow dish and add a pinch of salt. Place milk and egg in another shallow dish and beat well. Place breadcrumbs in another shallow dish.
3. Arrange flour, beaten egg, and breadcrumbs in that order in a line (traditional breading station).
4. Divide the meat into four equal portions, and shape/roll/pound each portion into a patty large enough to cover a boiled egg.
5. Roll one boiled egg in flour, then place the egg in the center of one of the meat patties. Bring the meat up and around, fully encasing the egg. If your hands are slightly damp, it'll help in forming the meat around the egg.
6. Roll this in the flour, then dip in the beaten egg, then roll in the breadcrumbs, then the egg again, then the breadcrumbs again. Repeat with the second egg.
7. Deep-fry eggs, two at a time, for 7-9 minutes. Once fried, remove eggs and place on the cooling rack to drain. Sprinkle with salt, to taste
8. Repeat with remaining two eggs. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.

NOTE: I served these with a homemade honey-mustard dipping sauce.

The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Burger buns

Last edited:
DEUTSCHES EI (GERMAN EGG - A SPIN ON A SCOTCH EGG)
Makes 4 eggs

Ingredients
4 eggs, boiled to your preference and peeled
1/2-lb bratwurst sausages, casings removed
3 TB AP flour
1 egg (for coating)
1 tsp milk
2 cups pretzel bread breadcrumbs
Enough frying oil to fill a dutch oven or other deep-fryer to 3-to-4 inches
Salt, to taste

Directions
1. Heat oil to 350F and place a cooling rack over a sheet pan.
1. Place flour in a shallow dish and add a pinch of salt. Place milk and egg in another shallow dish and beat well. Place breadcrumbs in another shallow dish.
2. Arrange flour, beaten egg, and breadcrumbs in that order in a line (traditional breading station).
3. Roll one boiled egg in flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs, then egg again, then breadcrumbs again. Repeat with second egg.
4. Deep-fry eggs, two at a time, for 7-9 minutes. Once fried, remove eggs and place on the cooling rack to drain. Sprinkle with salt, to taste
5. Repeat with remaining two eggs. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.

NOTE: I served these with a homemade honey-mustard dipping sauce.

View attachment 60382

Where does the meat come in?

Russ

Great! And you achieved the runny yolk.
Thanks. I need to play around with that a bit more, but I got there by starting the eggs in cold water, bringing to a boil, shutting off the burner, and letting sit for four minutes, then into a cold water bath. Next time...three minutes and 30 seconds! :)

Back
Top Bottom