Diabetic Diet as Prevention

DancingLady

Veteran
Local time
5:07 AM
I have heard quite a bit about the basic principles of a diabetic diet and balancing carbohydrates with fats and proteins to balance blood sugar. To me this sounds like a good way to eat to prevent blood sugar problems and diabetes before they develop.

Do you or others you know follow these kinds of dietary principles as a way of staying healthy and avoiding disease?

Diabetes comes mainly from inheritance.

If it runs in your family and someone such as your grandparents, parents, or an aunt or uncle has or had it, your chances of getting it is a more likelihood that you could or will get it.

It ran on our mom & dad's side of the family. Our mom was diagnosed with it just before she was called home. I was diagnosed with it, and so were three of my brothers.

And because my glucose level is always too low, I can NEVER go on a low-carb diet, because with that, you are not allowed to have any starch!! I need SOME starch to help balance out the glucose level in the blood, to help keep me from going into a hypoglycemic attack, a coma and possibly dying from a lack of sugar in the blood!! :eek:

I know that the tendency toward it does run in families, but I also know of people who have been diagnosed with diabetes and changed their diet, lost the weight they needed to lose and ultimately recovered their insulin sensitivity and were no longer diabetic. I think diet has much more to do with it than genetics, genetics just causes some people to develop insulin resistance faster than others when they are not eating healthy.

Yeah, it HAS been said that if you lose some weight, the diabetes will more than likely go away. :wink:

But if the weight is allowed to be gained back, then the diabetes comes back!! :eek:

No, I have never thought of doing that. Diabetes runs in my family, but I don't have it.

I collect diabetic recipes. A few years ago, I really started watching my sugar intake. There is a lot of hidden sugar in food. I lost a ton of weight when I started reading labels and tracking my sugar intake.

It runs in my family so I'm a bit more cautious when it comes to my food. We all love eating starches and I think that's the biggest trigger most of our family members have because none of us are really all that big on sweets. That said I don't follow any rigid rules but I just try and moderate my carbohydrate intake and I keep conscious of over indulging. From time to time I'll allow myself to go crazy but not regularly.

My father has Type 2 diabetes and my mother is borderline so she has adapted her diet to prevent it. She is under observation with her blood tests, so she has stopped each too many carbohydrates and also is regulating when she eats. A diet of low GI foods helps as she eats porridge each day which has helped her blood sugar levels to stabilize.

I think it's a good idea to incorporate it into your diet if you know your blood sugar levels are high and to be aware of what you eat and when.I am more aware of what my parents can eat and what they avoid now, so many products have no added salt or sugar which diabetics can eat.

I lost a considerable amount of weight - going from 300lbs to 277lbs!

Still a long way to go, but I've changed my eating habits to smaller portions, eating something light in between. About every few hours apart. And it seems to be working, so I'll stick with that! :wink:

I lost a considerable amount of weight - going from 300lbs to 277lbs!

Still a long way to go, but I've changed my eating habits to smaller portions, eating something light in between. About every few hours apart. And it seems to be working, so I'll stick with that! :wink:

Congratulations! Slow and steady wins the race.

Thanks!

Yes it does!! You can't try to lose it too fast, because that would be dangerous!!

Richard Simmons had once tried doing it that way, and he almost died!! :eek:

I have heard quite a bit about the basic principles of a diabetic diet and balancing carbohydrates with fats and proteins to balance blood sugar. To me this sounds like a good way to eat to prevent blood sugar problems and diabetes before they develop.

Do you or others you know follow these kinds of dietary principles as a way of staying healthy and avoiding disease?
We'll I went plant base/vegan three years ago and it literally saved my life. I was heading down the normal wrong path of eating and decided I didn't want to end up like so many in my family. I lost my grandfather due to diabetes uncle's from heart attacks, and so on. A plant base diet done right will go along way. I'm very very glad I made the switch.

Forgot to mention that we lost a brother in '04 due to diabetes, high blood pressure, drinking and eating way too unhealthy!

He didn't take care of himself, and it caused his health to slowly deteriorate. He had stroked out and while in the hospital, he went into full cardiac arrest & didn't survived it. It was one of the saddest funerals that I've ever attended. I couldn't believe that he was gone!! :eek: :ohmy: :(

My father in law had discovered his diabetes when he was 80. The doctor said he doesn't need insulin and he can fight that diabetes with a controlled diet. He calls that controlled diabetes because the diet would be directing his life. First off is the volume of food that he eats. From one cup down to 1/3 cup of rice. With dishes, it would also be slashed to 1/3. But he can eat often like 6 times a day.

My mom is diabetic and I have been told I could be if I don't do the necessary things. I am not going to comment about what I have been doing to stave off the disease and perhaps that says it all. Maybe I think that no matter what I do the result will be the same. Still I would encourage healthy eating and exercise for others.Sometimes we know how to preach it better than we can live it.

I have a friend who has Type II Diabetes, and was on medication for it when we met 6 years ago. She's since then lost weight, and is managing it with supplements and cinnamon, as well as cutting back significantly on starches and sweets. One thing to know, since we're on the subject, is that caffeine can significantly increase your blood sugar, so that is also something to watch.

Back
Top Bottom