Diabetic Lows

apike

Veteran
Local time
4:12 AM
I'm writing this post because I let myself go too long without eating. I got caught up in the work I was doing and then I realized I had a nasty headache and my hands were shaking so bad, I could no longer type! It's very rare that I allow myself to get that low but it happens sometimes. I usually keep snacks around me that will prevent it from happening but I didn't have anything around today.

My favorite snacks to keep around are peanuts, almonds, sunflower seeds, cheese, Greek light and fit yogurt, and sugar-free chocolate mousse.

What type of stuff do you keep around? That's just stuff I have immediately handy most of the time.

I also need to keep protein snacks handy, all the time, but especially when I'm pregnant. Peanuts are a go-to for me because they give the double bonus of making me thirsty and helping me remember to drink more water. I actually like all of your ideas, and probably have had one or most of those as my grab-and-go eats as well.

I also like to snack on bananas and avocados.

When I see them on sale, I stock up on PowerBar Harvest bars. I especially like the Strawberry Crunch flavor, but will tolerate the Peanut Butter and Oatmeal one as well. This is filling and also gives enough protein so as not to give me a sugar high and then another low. I also have Special K Protein Water packs in my purse.

It is funny that once I started experiencing true sugar lows (the headache-y, blurry, dizzy, blahs), I truly am on top of having snacks with me at all times.

Sugar lows are truly just awful to deal with. I'm still dealing with the headache from earlier. I have a feeling it won't be going away today. I just waited too long to eat and usually that results in a nasty day-long headache for me. One thing you might want to look for are the new SlimFast protein shakes. I used to drink the regular SlimFast just to bump up my blood sugar when I was low and because sometimes I'm just not that hungry, but I found that there's too much sugar in those for me to deal with. The protein shakes are pretty good and work in a bind if you need something quickly. Plus, they give you all that protein, are low in carbs and they don't have all that sugar. I usually keep a few in my fridge so they're nice and cold. You should be able to find them over near where they keep all the other SlimFast stuff in the pharmacy section.

Back
Top Bottom