Dim Sum

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
3:30 AM
Dim sum, like sushi, is often better bought and enjoyed in a good restaurant. But it can be made at home. For example, the easiest dim sum type is the common spring roll. But there 100 more or less types of dim sum, the Chinese treat that has its origins in Hong Kong and Guang Dong going back to the 1950s, perhaps earlier.

I went googling to try and identify types of dim sum and possibly, recipes and found a dim sum guide to share here. This guide does not have recipes, just descriptions of types of dim sum. Google for possible menus.

What are your favorite types of dim sum that you might like to make on your own?

There used to be a fantastic dim sum restaurant in Caracas called Lai King, where we´d go for brunch. At least 50 different dim sum: fried, boiled, steamed, some wrapped in banana leaves, or chestnut leaves... I could easily eat those every day.
My favourites are the little parcels, steamed or fried, filled with shrimp, or vegetables, or minced pork.

There used to be a fantastic dim sum restaurant in Caracas called Lai King, where we´d go for brunch. At least 50 different dim sum: fried, boiled, steamed, some wrapped in banana leaves, or chestnut leaves... I could easily eat those every day.
My favourites are the little parcels, steamed or fried, filled with shrimp, or vegetables, or minced pork.

There's a big dim sum restaurant in North San Jose, California, near the Cisco Systems corporate buildings, very nice and very expensive, with many many varieties of dim sum. Fabulous and delicious.

The other important thing to look into when considering dim sum, is the types of dipping sauces used. The more common dipping sauces include Hoisin variations, soy variations, sweet and sour, hot mustard, hot chili oil, plum and other fruit sauces.

Back
Top Bottom