Dinner ideas for a largr group on the go?

smlewis00

Veteran
Local time
10:06 AM
My husband is the manager of a trucking company. I want to do something special for his team because they are all really hard workers. I thought it would be nice to provide a hot meal after their shift. So, I have volunteered to provide dinner for all of the drivers one night. There are approximately 20 drivers. Because they are truck drivers, and their routes vary, they will all be eating at different times.
My ideas are to do a large crock pot of bbq beef. I could provide buns and the the drivers could make sandwiches as they finish their shift. That way the food will stay warm for everyone. I could also make macaroni salad, a few bags of chips and some homemade cookies and brownies. However, is it tacky to offer to make dinner and then serve sandwiches? These foods are more like picnic foods.
Do you have any suggestions on what I can make that will stay warm for everyone yet not just be a "picnic?"
My other thought was to make a taco bar. Fill a duel crockpot with seasoned beef in one and seasoned chicken in the other. Offer both hard and soft shell tacos. I could also have an array of taco toppings. (lettuce, tomatos, onions, olives, ect...) As a side I could maybe make some homemade salsa and tortilla chips?
I'm just not sure on what to do.
What are your thoughts for feeding a crowd who all eat at a different time?

I'd definitely go with a proper meal instead of a sandwich. It's a one time thing and certainly something they will remember for a long time.

Also definitely stick with the homemade cookies or brownies as a dessert. A homemade desert will add a great personal feel to it!

I don't think a sandwich concept would work well.

Had you thought about using your slow cooker for something like a beef stew or goulash to serve with rice/pasta? Both pasta & rice can easily be cook in small batches and fresh put out at intervals and tbh cold rice with a hot stew works fine. You would be able to keep the dish warm in the slow cooker as well and could offer more than 1 dish if you have more than one slow cooker.

Otherwise you could consider something like pasties which can be held by hand and eaten (thinking of the Cornish Pasty concept here - they are not difficult to make).

I don't think a sandwich concept would work well.

Had you thought about using your slow cooker for something like a beef stew or goulash to serve with rice/pasta? Both pasta & rice can easily be cook in small batches and fresh put out at intervals and tbh cold rice with a hot stew works fine. You would be able to keep the dish warm in the slow cooker as well and could offer more than 1 dish if you have more than one slow cooker.

Otherwise you could consider something like pasties which can be held by hand and eaten (thinking of the Cornish Pasty concept here - they are not difficult to make).

Oh thank you! That is a great idea! I had not thought of beef stew! That is a terrific thought! Beef stew is very filling and would definitely be tastier than sandwiches. I could certainly do that very easily in the crock pot. Rice would go wonderfully with it as well! I really apperciate your feedback!

I'd definitely go with a proper meal instead of a sandwich. It's a one time thing and certainly something they will remember for a long time.

Also definitely stick with the homemade cookies or brownies as a dessert. A homemade desert will add a great personal feel to it!
Thank you so much for the feedback! I love to bake, so I am looking forward to making some homemade brownies or cookies. I also thought about doing a large cake. I could try my hand at cake decorating, Perhaps do a trucking theme? :) I have just recently gotten into cake decorating, so it may be a good time to practice.
Thanks again for your feedback!

Cavatelli & Meatballs - the sauce and meatballs will hold up well in the slow cooker for hours, and you could make a few batches of fresh Cavatelli throughout the time you are serving food. Garlic bread and a salad would round things off.

You could also make a roasted ham (which is practically effortless), then focus on a few hearty side dishes to go along with it, baked beans, au gratin potatoes, some sort of colorful vegetable medley...

A pork roast in sauerkraut (maybe throw some smoked sausages in there too for variety) is also very easy and holds up well.

Cavatelli & Meatballs - the sauce and meatballs will hold up well in the slow cooker for hours, and you could make a few batches of fresh Cavatelli throughout the time you are serving food. Garlic bread and a salad would round things off.

You could also make a roasted ham (which is practically effortless), then focus on a few hearty side dishes to go along with it, baked beans, au gratin potatoes, some sort of colorful vegetable medley...

A pork roast in sauerkraut (maybe throw some smoked sausages in there too for variety) is also very easy and holds up well.

That sounds terrific! Thank you so much OhioTom76 for your feedback! :) I absolutely love your ideas! I really apperciate your thoughts!
Everyone has such great ideas on here! And to think, I was considering doing sandwiches! I am very thankful for this forum! The insight has been terrific!
Thanks again everyone!

I agree. Hot sandwiches are easy (and totally good) but messy and casual. Picnic-like, like you said.

What about a bunch of big lasagnas? Also easy to do in bulk and they'd keep warm if you had warmers. Just pull them out as needed…. the soup idea is a good one too - also easy to make a lot, keep warm, and it is totally "comfort food" so I think they'd love it. Even if you did throw-away bowls, it could be awesome.

My husband is the manager of a trucking company. I want to do something special for his team because they are all really hard workers. I thought it would be nice to provide a hot meal after their shift. So, I have volunteered to provide dinner for all of the drivers one night. There are approximately 20 drivers. Because they are truck drivers, and their routes vary, they will all be eating at different times.
My ideas are to do a large crock pot of bbq beef. I could provide buns and the the drivers could make sandwiches as they finish their shift. That way the food will stay warm for everyone. I could also make macaroni salad, a few bags of chips and some homemade cookies and brownies. However, is it tacky to offer to make dinner and then serve sandwiches? These foods are more like picnic foods.
Do you have any suggestions on what I can make that will stay warm for everyone yet not just be a "picnic?"
My other thought was to make a taco bar. Fill a duel crockpot with seasoned beef in one and seasoned chicken in the other. Offer both hard and soft shell tacos. I could also have an array of taco toppings. (lettuce, tomatos, onions, olives, ect...) As a side I could maybe make some homemade salsa and tortilla chips?
I'm just not sure on what to do.
What are your thoughts for feeding a crowd who all eat at a different time?

Any type of pasta because pasta can go a long way when cooking. You may think it's only a little when it's really a lot in those boxes that they come in! Also grilled chicken wings/legs are fairly cheap and come in big packages. Pulled meat such as BBQ pork or any type of casserole!

Back
Top Bottom