Recipe Dipped Fried Chicken

CraigC

Guru
Local time
9:19 PM
So you got Nashville Hot Chicken, Buffalo Wings and Chicken and Waffles. Now its time for some North Carolina Dipped Fried Chicken.:hyper::heat::pepper:

Ingredients
Chicken
Salt and pepper
¼ cup sugar
3 pounds bone-in chicken pieces (split breasts cut in half, drumsticks, thighs, and/or wings), trimmed
1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
¾ cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 quarts peanut or vegetable oil
Sauce
1 ¼ cups Texas Pete Original Hot Sauce
5 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
5 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil
2 tablespoons molasses
1 tablespoon cider vinegar

Directions
1) FOR THE CHICKEN: Dissolve 1/2 cup salt and sugar in 2 quarts cold water in large container. Submerge chicken in brine, cover, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 4 hours.
2) Whisk flour, cornstarch, granulated garlic, baking powder, 2 teaspoons pepper, and 3/4 teaspoon salt together in large bowl. Add 2 tablespoons water to flour mixture; using your fingers, rub flour mixture and water together until water is evenly incorporated and shaggy pieces of dough form.
3) Set wire rack in rimmed baking sheet. Working with 1 piece at a time, remove chicken from brine, letting excess drip off; dredge chicken in flour mixture, pressing to adhere. Transfer to prepared rack. Refrigerate chicken, uncovered, for at least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours.
4) Set second wire rack in second rimmed baking sheet and line half of rack with triple layer of paper towels. Add oil to large Dutch oven until it measures 2 inches deep and heat over medium-high heat to 350 degrees. Add half of chicken to pot and fry until breasts register 160 degrees and drumsticks/thighs/wings register 175 degrees, 13 to 16 minutes. Adjust burner, if necessary, to maintain oil temperature between 325 and 350 degrees.
5) Transfer chicken to paper towel–lined side of prepared rack. Let chicken drain on each side for 30 seconds, then move to unlined side of rack. Return oil to 350 degrees and repeat with remaining chicken. Let chicken cool for 10 minutes.
6) FOR THE SAUCE: Meanwhile, whisk all ingredients together in bowl. Microwave, covered, until hot, about 2 minutes, stirring halfway through microwaving.
7) Dip chicken in sauce, then transfer to shallow platter. Spoon any remaining sauce over top. Serve.

Last edited:
So you got Nashville Hot Chicken, Buffalo Wings and Chicken and Waffles. Now its time for some North Carolina Dipped Fried Chicken.:hyper::heat::pepper:

Ingredients
Chicken
Salt and pepper
¼ cup sugar
3 pounds bone-in chicken pieces (split breasts cut in half, drumsticks, thighs, and/or wings), trimmed
1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
¾ cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 quarts peanut or vegetable oil
Sauce
1 ¼ cups Texas Pete Original Hot Sauce
5 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
5 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil
2 tablespoons molasses
1 tablespoon cider vinegar

Directions
1) FOR THE CHICKEN: Dissolve 1/2 cup salt and sugar in 2 quarts cold water in large container. Submerge chicken in brine, cover, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 4 hours.
2) Whisk flour, cornstarch, granulated garlic, baking powder, 2 teaspoons pepper, and 1 teaspoon salt together in large bowl. Add 2 tablespoons water to flour mixture; using your fingers, rub flour mixture and water together until water is evenly incorporated and shaggy pieces of dough form.
3) Set wire rack in rimmed baking sheet. Working with 1 piece at a time, remove chicken from brine, letting excess drip off; dredge chicken in flour mixture, pressing to adhere. Transfer to prepared rack. Refrigerate chicken, uncovered, for at least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours.
4) Set second wire rack in second rimmed baking sheet and line half of rack with triple layer of paper towels. Add oil to large Dutch oven until it measures 2 inches deep and heat over medium-high heat to 350 degrees. Add half of chicken to pot and fry until breasts register 160 degrees and drumsticks/thighs/wings register 175 degrees, 13 to 16 minutes. Adjust burner, if necessary, to maintain oil temperature between 325 and 350 degrees.
5) Transfer chicken to paper towel–lined side of prepared rack. Let chicken drain on each side for 30 seconds, then move to unlined side of rack. Return oil to 350 degrees and repeat with remaining chicken. Let chicken cool for 10 minutes.
6) FOR THE SAUCE: Meanwhile, whisk all ingredients together in bowl. Microwave, covered, until hot, about 2 minutes, stirring halfway through microwaving.
7) Dip chicken in sauce, then transfer to shallow platter. Spoon any remaining sauce over top. Serve.

I think I'll try this one day!! Sounds good! Do you have a pic of the finished product? :wink:

I've been buying fried chicken fairly often lately and making Nashville Hot, served simply with a couple of soft, white burger rolls.

This looks really good, although I'd have to see if I could sneak in the Worcestershire, or just leave it out as my wife abhors it.

I don't buy fried chicken, especially not Banquet, Swanson or otherwise. it is much too blasted salty. I make my own! :wink:

I don't think I've ever bought frozen TV dinner chicken.

There's a deli near me that has a Red's Fried chicken, which is a propeietary huge broaster that can do dozens of pieces within 15 minutes.

I used to. There's talk that food co's are supposed to be easing up gradually on the sodium in processed food - supposedly in 10 years. :wink:

I think I'll try this one day!! Sounds good! Do you have a pic of the finished product? :wink:

36788-albums1123-picture7603.jpg

I reduced the salt amount in the coating mix for the recipe. It wasn't inedible salty, but just a little too much.

Last edited:
Make sure you cut down the salt in the brine and the coating some. We forgot to do that tonight and it was a bit salty.

View attachment 27160

I reduced the salt amount in the coating mix for the recipe. It wasn't inedible salty, but just a little too much.

Anytime that you can cut down on salt, the chicken & food taste much better without all that damn salt spoiling things. Which is why I don't eat KFC's or Popeye's chicken. Well, sometimes Popeye's, but I get much more enjoyment making my own. Far less salt in it!! :wink:

This is something I've never seen in a fried chicken recipe: refrigerating it for a while after applying the flour. I have seen flour-egg-flour, then immediately into the oil, but never this. Something to try next time for sure!

Back
Top Bottom