Dipsomania, More Socially Prevelant Than Most Realize

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
9:50 AM
The word is dipsomania. And it regards an craving, a sort of addiction, that is very prevalent in western cultures. It often results in destructive behavior, not limited to spending beyond one's means, but to psychological and physical harm as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
The terms alcoholism and dipsomania are not completely interchangeable.

Alcoholism vs dipsomania​

Alcoholism is an addiction or a dependency on alcohol. The word alcoholism comes from the Modern Latin word alcoholismus, which was coined in the mid-1800s by Magnus Huss, a professor of medicine in Sweden. However, Huss used the word to describe an illness that is called alcohol poisoning, today. At this time, alcoholism was labeled as habitual drunkeness, and other similar terms.

Dipsomania is a type of alcoholism which is characterized by periodic bouts of uncontrollable craving for alcohol. Alcoholism and dipsomania are not interchangeable, dipsomania describes a form of alcoholism that includes periods of sobriety. The word dipsomania was coined in 1843 to mean a morbid craving for alcohol, from the Greek word dipsa, which means thirst.

Source: How to Use Alcoholism vs dipsomania Correctly – Grammarist

...I'm not sure it is anything to do with 'spending beyond one's means' unless you mean spending too much on alcohol. :scratchhead:The term dipsomania is specifically linked to alcohol and not to other types of craving.

...I'm not sure it is anything to do with 'spending beyond one's means' unless you mean spending too much on alcohol. :scratchhead:The term dipsomania is specifically linked to alcohol and not to other types of craving.

To be sure, and it can be easily noticed that many people have those bouts of thirst for alcohol, for whatever reason, typically having nothing to do with enjoying the beverages for flavor and culinary satisfaction. And most people don't even recognize the unreasonable nature of the habits.

Spending beyond means is often typical of habitual alcohol drinkers, cigarette smokers, recreational drug users and not to leave them out, gamblers. Then, being broke all the time spins off its own problems, especially within families where marriages and other social interactions, even friendships break down, sometimes involving criminal activities. Mutual trusts are often sacrificed to the cravings.

At 65, going on 66, I have seen far too many people suffer the consequences of these 'cravings'. My own family was a broken family, with parents divorced due to an alcoholic father who spent the bulk of his non-working hours in bars, spending much of his earnings, leaving his kids with shoes that had toes sticking out the end and lacking heals, and worse. I do not consider myself to have had a father, ever, only a mother.

For a while in my early youth and manhood, I too, found myself lulled into the same pattern as many others, but fortunately, saw the futility and 'stupidity' of it. I at one time, smoked cigarettes too. I quit that at an early age (thankfully I had the sense and will), and limited alcoholic beverage imbibing with a logical decision, to only use as a luxury item food supplement, usually only wine and beer. Else, I too, might be today, just another victim of the social prevalence of this 'dypsomania'.

IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom