Dish of the month (April): suggestions please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
6:26 AM
'Dish of the Month' focusses on an accessible and generic dish, so that if they wish, members can join in, cook and post the results. Its non competitive. So far we have had frittata, burgers, pizza and tortilla based dishes, savoury pies, pasta salad, pancakes/waffles, gratins and kebabs, meatloaf and (currently) chilli.

New suggestions are welcome but it needs to be a dish with fairly easily available ingredients in our various countries and a dish which offers the chance for different interpretations.

Past suggestions have included potato salad, macaroni cheese, bread, risotto and strudel. Please feel free to support one of these suggestions or add new ones, with the above criteria in mind. We will make a decision based on which dish gets most mentions, so please join in and support a suggestion or come up with another idea.

I've been a fan of Tom Yam since I came here first in '94. As the ingredients may be adjusted to reflect those in season, the only "necessary" ones are chillis (as hot as you like), lemon grass, galangal, fresh coriander, lemon/lime juice and fish sauce.

Last edited:
'Dish of the Month' focusses on an accessible and generic dish, so that if they wish, members can join in, cook and post the results. Its non competitive. So far we have had frittata, burgers, pizza and tortilla based dishes, savoury pies, pasta salad, pancakes/waffles, gratins and kebabs, meatloaf and (currently) chilli.

New suggestions are welcome but it needs to be a dish with fairly easily available ingredients in our various countries and a dish which offers the chance for different interpretations.

Past suggestions have included potato salad, macaroni cheese, bread, risotto and strudel. Please feel free to support one of these suggestions or add new ones, with the above criteria in mind. We will make a decision based on which dish gets most mentions, so please join in and support a suggestion or come up with another idea.
I love risotto...in my city there's also a restaurant with menù based only on risotto :D

Other suggestion: unusual combinations (sweet and sour, sweet with savoury, something like meat with fruit...)

I love risotto...in my city there's also a restaurant with menù based only on risotto :D

Other suggestion: unusual combinations (sweet and sour, sweet with savoury, something like meat with fruit...)
Risotto sounds great to me! I have never made it before but I like it and I would try to make some.

Or macaroni and cheese? I dislike potato salad in general, although I will make it upon request from family members who like it and eat a small amount of it.

And I have no idea where to buy lemongrass, fish sauce, or galangal? I don't even know what galangal is!

I'm for a rice dish, so risotto or pilaf (or a rice pudding).

I could have been tempted to make gnocchi if it wasn't for the fact I made quite a bit a couple of weeks ago, so have a load in the freezer. Dumplings would need clarification as you what type. I'm assuming we don't mean the suet & flour type that get cooked in a stew or casserole?

I'm not really interested in potato salad to be honest. Salad season is ending here with temperature in single figures for 12hrs or more a day now, but too warm during the day for the stove to be lit.

WOW!
I thought I had an idea, but now that Risotto and Dumplings have been suggested, I'm very torn.
I'm with JAS_OH1 , I've never made Risotto myself, I cheat and buy it frozen-heat `n eat, but I should try making it once in my life.
And then there's dumplings... I have a recipe from Hawaii that I've never seen anywhere else.
So, it's a split vote for me: Risotto and/or Dumplings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom