'Dish of the Month (August) suggestions please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
11:49 PM
Time to bring back 'Dish of the Month'? The last one was in March 2020 and was 'kebabs'. 'Dish of the Month' focusses on an accessible and generic dish, so that most of us can join in, cook and post the results. Its non competitive. So far we have had Frittata, Burgers, Pizza and Tortilla based dishes, Savoury Pies, Indian Food, Pasta Salad & Pancakes/waffles. and Gratins and Kebabs.

Any suggestions are welcome but it needs to be a dish with fairly easily available ingredients and a dish which offers the chance for different interpretations. Past suggestions have included potato salad, macaroni cheese, chilli, bread, and risotto. Recently it was suggested we run some sort of challenge featuring 'war-time' recipes so that could be the subject.

Please feel free to add suggestions with the above criteria in mind. I'll make a decision based on which dishes get most mentions - so please join in and support a suggestion or come up with another idea.

Last edited:
I like the historical angle of wartime recipes, and future months could use that as a starting point for other time periods - 1950's kitschy stuff, post-war rationing recipes, Georgian or Victorian (pickled sheep's head, anyone?), antebellum America...on and on.

If looking for something less ambitious, Soups & Stews might work. Those of us sweltering in the heat could make cold soups, and folks Down Under could do some warm, filling winter stuff.

Right before I read this, I read an email from the New York Times Cooking section...something I subscribe to as a cool way to get ideas for foods I will never cook, but want to cook. :) Today's email had this:

croquettes

Specifically, these beauties...eggplant croquettes:

02mag-eat-articleLarge.jpg

Pizza! Talk about a versatile vehicle, pizza dough, and so many different ingredients you can choose to put on your pizza.

Last edited:
Well it's grilling season around here, so burgers, grilled veggies, or any other grilled items could be good. I like to try different burger ideas.

I have a dental appointment for August 4 at 8 a.m. My tooth pain started a few weeks ago and I got right in to see the dentist, and she said it was likely a loose filling on one of my lower molars on the right that needed to be replaced. Which makes sense, since the cavity on that tooth was filled when I was a young teenager. And it hurts when I bite down so I have been chewing on the other side of my mouth. She told me to make an appointment at reception to see if I could get in the following week. The receptionist said the earliest was August 14th. I said okay, but then called back another day (on hold for 1/2 an hour) and was lucky that someone had canceled for August 4. Still way too long to be in pain. I have been terribly afraid it was going to get infected. That happened to a molar on the other side with the same situation last year, I had to wait about a month from the appointment where they diagnosed the problem and in the meanwhile the tooth became infected and had to be pulled. I am very attached to my teeth and they are very attached to me! That's the first time I have lost a tooth in my life other than my baby teeth. I was emotionally distraught and I cried. Good thing it was in the back of my mouth so it's not visible. I had planned on going and getting a dental implant in April and then COVID happened. I didn't want to go to the dentist this time, either, but when the tooth started bothering me I thought I'd best not wait. But it's out of my control.

Sorry for whining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom