Dish of the month (March 2022): Chilli/chili (including plant based)

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
1:21 AM
'Dish of the month' focusses on an accessible and generic dish, so that most of us can join in, cook and post the results. Its non competitive and there is no need to post the recipe unless you want to. This month, chilli (including vegan/vegetarian versions) has been chosen.

So, its over to you to make your finest chilli and post the results in this thread. Innovation is positively encouraged!

Go for it! I ordered some beef. I don't eat much meat but a good chilli I do like. I'm going 'chunky' rather than minced/ground beef.
I like Chili anyway you want to serve it to me!

Paniolo Chili.jpg

What I've named Paniolo (that's Hawaiian for Cowboy) Chili.
Morning Glory it's made with tiny chunks of Chuck (that I lovingly dice myself), ground Linguica or Portuguese Sausage, very small diced Streaky Bacon and then the usual spices AND Tomatoes. :rolleyes:
I put Kidney Beans in my Chili :ohmy: `cuz that's how we like it.

Here are a couple I made in the last month.

Recipe - "Authentic" Texas Chili (A Bowl of Red)
The first is something I made for historical exploration. It is a recipe based on the original chili invented in Texas, near the Mexico border. It was a trail food for the cowboys/vaqueros of South Texas. It's nickname is "Texas Red." It has no tomatoes or beans, although beans may have often been served separately, as pinto beans where a staple food on the cattle trails.

TexasRedChili001.jpg

The second is a hybrid between Texas Red and the chili I've been making for years. It uses coarsely ground beef (beef mince) instead of diced beef chuck, and does include tomatoes. I didn't use beans, but pinto beans would work.

Chili001.jpg

CD

Last edited:
And maybe this is a whole different topic, but, what do you serve with your Chili?

Good question. My preferred side is cornbread. I'm okay with crackers or corn chips. In Southeast Texas, you will often see chili served with rice. Rice is a big crop down there. SE Texas chili often has Ranch Style pinto beans in it, too. I'm okay with that, too.

CD

And maybe this is a whole different topic, but, what do you serve with your Chili?
We have a lot of different things we like with ours.

My wife likes either rice or elbow macaroni stirred in. I like to build a bowl in layers, with some crumbled crackers and diced cheese in the bowl first, piping hot chili laid on, then repeat once more. I like the cheese to melt and the crackers to get gloppy.

That’s how I usually have it, but if I’m feeling really deluxe, I might top with some peppers, raw onion and sour cream.

A common item around here to serve along side chili, used for dipping…a single piece of bread, smeared with peanut butter, and folded in half. It’s better than it sounds.

My ex-SIL is Korean, and she made this funky Korean-American fusion chili that featured diced potatoes. That stuff was out of this world.

I generally serve chilli with nachos:

or with French bread:

or with garlic bread:

or with breakfast rolls:

or with roti:

or with pitta bread:

Strangely enough, I never serve it with rice albeit rice is the staple food in these parts.

Back
Top Bottom