Disinfect Molcajete

pedllt3

Local time
10:26 AM
A few months ago we had a mouse problems, and one of them pooped in my molcajete. I rinsed it off but obviously haven't used it since. I am trying to figure out how to disinfect it, but all I can find online is information about how to cure it or clean it after use. Any ideas? Lost cause?

Last edited by a moderator:
I honestly don't think it will be a problem. Just wash it with washing up liquid. If you're really concerned then use a disinfectant and clean it with warm water afterwards. But to be honest, if they have left droppings in the pestal, they will have also left a trail of urine over everything else such as your kitchen work surfaces/worktops and presumably you haven't replaced all of those? (I assume you know mice are basically incontinent and continually urinate as they scamper over everything.)

I honestly don't think it will be a problem. Just wash it with washing up liquid. If you're really concerned then use a disinfectant and clean it with warm water afterwards. But to be honest, if they have left droppings in the pestal, they will have also left a trail of urine over everything else such as your kitchen work surfaces/worktops and presumably you haven't replaced all of those? (I assume you know mice are basically incontinent and continually urinate as they scamper over everything.)

Yeah, they got everywhere. But the Molcajete is very porous, and they say you shouldn't use soap, etc. to clean it (I imagine because it will make everything prepared in it taste like soap).

Yeah, they got everywhere. But the Molcajete is very porous, and they say you shouldn't use soap, etc. to clean it (I imagine because it will make everything prepared in it taste like soap).
You can always use that to clean it afterwards by just soaking it for a long time in clean water refreshing daily. Be careful with heat though. I don't know how well it will cope with it until 100% dry because of the porous nature. Steam could easily cause it to crack/split open.

Drying could possibly be done in an open oven (leave for ajar) at a very low temperature, or is use have a sunny windowsill, leave it there for a while (weeks, turning regularly). Also remember that sunlight is a natural disinfectant. UV kills most things with time.

You'll need to reseason it all once you're done. If you use garlic instead of chilli it will have the added advantage of being a natural disinfectant.

Personally though, I'd not be worrying too much about it. I've lived with mice all my life living rurally (I'm originally from the UK) in many countries and I've never had issues with getting ill from the occasional mouse finding it's way into the kitchen or tent (I lived on the road for a year). Just wash it off, dry it thoroughly and use sunlight too sterilize it. Reseason it with garlic and settle for that. Tbh, it sounds like the rest of the place is a bigger risk than your molcajete is.

Back
Top Bottom