Do bananas make you bloated?

elles-belles

Veteran
Local time
1:50 PM
Bananas being rich potassium fruits are according to research not supposed to get you all bloated but with me I find them unbearable at times because after having one I feel highly bloated.

I am almost certain that I don't have any digestive problems so I wonder what it could be. Does anyone experience the same issue and what could be the cause of it?

The issue I have with bananas is that I cannot eat them too early in the day. They seem not to digest so well at that early time. I usually have to wait until late morning, lunch time or evening, to eat a banana. I cannot say that it is exactly a bloated feeling that I get, but I don't usually feel well after eating one and I can tell that it is not digesting properly. So, check the times that you are eating them; that may be the problem, although I do not know why it would have a different reaction at a different time of day.

People's bodies are different. I have never had a problem with bananas, in fact they help me feel good because of the potassium, which I need.

It could be that later in the day you system is "warmed up" after having eaten other first. I could also be that you are low on probiotics in your gut.

I thought maybe it was a family inherited problem as both my mother & I suffer from bloating after eating bananas. If I purchase the smaller ones and limit myself to one per day, it doesn't seem to be as bad. But they are one of my favorite fruits to be mixed into a smoothie. As I've gotten older, the things that bothered my stomach before have gotten worse so I've had to adjust my intake accordingly. You are not alone though. I wonder what ingredient is in bananas that causes the bloat.

That is funny, I never thought they get me bloated, but the other day I had one that was just barely ripe. It was almost ready, just not quite. Anyways it did give me quite a stomach ache. However when I eat them well ripened I have no problems. Sometime the skin has begun to turn brown on the bananas I usually eat, but when I open them they are still fine inside. When I eat them like that I've never had a problem.

So maybe it has something to do with the stage of ripeness?

I get the point you are bringing across Dina00, however in my case I doubt the stage of ripeness has anything to do with it because I usually eat them well ripened. I have also had one that was not so ripe and I still experienced the same thing. There must be some ingredient that causes the bloat like janetsjunk1972 suggested!

Generally speaking, one banana is fine, 2 or more are constipating. That has been my experience anyway, and certainly is also true for my kids. Bananas are one of the beginning foods we offer our babies when switching to solids and I always appreciate that they get their diapers a little firmer and less messy, but if we go overboard my babes have been really uncomfortable.

I think the only time I can eat a lot of bananas is when I'm training for a race and burning lots of calories and building up lots of lactic acid. I think right after working out or doing a long ride or run, a banana is the best thing ever.

I don't exactly become bloated, but what happens is, they give me the strangest stomach pain afterwards. Especially if eaten on an empty stomach.
I have read somewhere that bananas are very bad for the heart if you eat them for breakfast alone, with nothing to supplement them... so I decided I should add them only to other ingredients and never alone. Except for later in the day, for example. Then it's better. But it's generally true even for me, bananas give me a hard time. :/

Yeah sometimes I get bloated when eating to much ripe banana. I dont know if its true but banana can cause to much gas in the stomach producing pain and sometimes bloatedness.

Back
Top Bottom