Do Certain Recipes Evoke Memories?

Diane Lane

Veteran
Local time
12:02 PM
I have recipes of dishes I've cooked with special people that make me happy. I also have recipes from my Mom and some others I care about that I enjoy cooking, because they take me back to when I first had them, or special times when the dishes were served. Does cooking certain dishes or using particular recipes evoke memories for you?

Without a doubt. Whenever I eat a fishcake, it reminds me of my childhood days when I would love to call for a bread and two fish (meaning fish cakes). When I eat macaroni pie, conkie, coucou and flying fish or salt fish just to mention a few it reminds me of my mom and where I was raised. I read of fish and chips and it takes me back more than twenty years ago when I was in the UK. I could go on and on.

Oh yes, there is one recipe that brings back a lot of childhood memories as my mom used to make it all of the time. It was her famous leftover steak casserole. When we would have left over steak from the night before, she would make this casserole and it was so simple and delicious. She would peel and cut 4 potatoes and boil them until they were potato salad soft (that is how I remember how to cook them properly). She would then dice up the potatoes, cut up some steak into bite size pieces, and then cube some cheddar cheese. These ingredients would then be mixed together and a can of cream of chicken soup would be poured in. She would then place the mix in a glass baking dish and bake the casserole at 365 degrees for about 45 minutes. I make this dish now sometimes, but I add french fried onions to the top so that there is a little crunch.

Smells ,tastes,ingredients all evoke memories at certain times ,a past holiday,people,at time in your life,
Desert gooseberrys called golden Cape take me back to my grandparents house where we would pick them in their garden ,and the smell of broad beans/ feves does the same

Last edited:
When I first decided to go vegetarian (1979/80, can't recall exactly), I cooked a vegetable curry for my first veggie Christmas dinner. While I am an atheist, I am also a moderately superstitious creature of habit, so there has been a vegetable curry every Christmas Day since then.

Someone I loved very much passed down a (Not so) Secret Family recipe to me for saute'ed mushrooms. I must admit, I'd had them on top of steak before, but until that time, I hadn't had them homemade. They were easy to make and I enjoyed all the time and effort that went into making them. To this day, I still make them that way, in that specific order of instructions, with those specific ingredients. It's the one recipe I won't deviate from. If someone has an allergy to one of the ingredients, I simply serve them something else.

Back
Top Bottom