Do figs have the same health benefits as bananas?

Local time
8:08 AM
As a child growing up, when it came to choosing between figs and bananas I have always chosen figs. However, these days I tend to favour bananas more. I have always been hearing of the health benefits of bananas, but was wondering if figs had similar benefits or not as much. It appears to me like bananas are the more popular of the two.

When I did a quick Google search for fig, I honestly didn't see figs as we know them here in our country. Granted it was a quick search but I suspect figs are called by another name in the States and elsewhere. That said I would have to hazard a guess that the benefits are similar if not the same. Since they are in the same family, I feel like they must have some health benefits in common. I would also imagine plantains would be in the family as well. I will search some more and see what I come up with.

I do think that figs are a good source of potassium. I wonder too if they would have lower carbs than a banana, at least they would have less starch.

You are so lucky if you have fresh figs available to you at all times! Almost everywhere I have lived they are like a delicacy, they only sell them very briefly at one point in the year, and they are always very expensive. But I love fresh figs, they also go great with goat cheese! Oh now I want some. But I guess like everything, if you have it constantly you get used to it and it might not hold the same appeal.

When I did a quick Google search for fig, I honestly didn't see figs as we know them here in our country. Granted it was a quick search but I suspect figs are called by another name in the States and elsewhere.

Figs in the states are called figs.

As a child growing up, when it came to choosing between figs and bananas I have always chosen figs. However, these days I tend to favour bananas more. I have always been hearing of the health benefits of bananas, but was wondering if figs had similar benefits or not as much. It appears to me like bananas are the more popular of the two.

Why would you have to choose between the two? In childhood we have little control over what we have to eat, but as adults we can have whatever we like. I have actually been thinking of growing figs at home.

Figs apparently have fewer calories, less potassium, slightly more sugar, and no protein, when compared in the same equal quantity.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=what are figs

ChaneelG is this the fig you are referring to? If it is, it's not the same fig I believe Caribbean Girl is referring to? Caribbean girl, please help me out here so I get the correct understanding. I was trying to find a picture of what we call figs in my country. It's a miniature looking banana or a mini me "plantain".

That's interesting. I've known for some time that there were many different types of banana, but this is the first time I have ever heard of one referred to as a fig. The fig in picture from the link you shared is exactly what I was referring to. There are a number of varieties, some smaller and some larger, but they all pretty much look like that one. We have two kinds of fig trees at work; I'm thinking of getting a Celeste.

I never knew bananas and figs to be even remotely similar, except perhaps in the fact that though both are fruit, neither is particularly "juicy" but rather mushy and moist.

I've always liked both equally and wouldn't consider one over another as a matter of preference. I never paired them against each other. I will say, however, that I was advised in my last pregnancy by my midwife to eat figs in the final trimester to aid labor, prime the cervix, and possibly bring on a quicker labor. My final baby (out of 4) did come a week early, and it was a wonderfully easy delivery. (Could also be that she was #4...)

Anyway, it was definitely a FIG recommendation and not a banana rec, so I'm guessing they do not work equally in the nutrition department.

http://loopbarbados.blogspot.com/2011/11/baby-bananas-bajan-figs_17.html

Still not the nice ripe figs that I was hoping to find but close enough. This article speaks to the fig I feel sure Caribbean Girl is referring to. I call it a cousin of the banana. It's so interesting that this topic should come up. Quite recently my husband called me to ask if what he had growing outside were figs or bananas. I honestly have not checked but knowing a little about banana trees I suspect they are figs. I'll pay more attention and take a closer look now that this topic has come up. There are fruits and vegetables that are called by another name even in the Caribbean. Ackee in my country is not ackee in Jamaica. All quite interesting. I am looking forward to hearing from Caribbean Girl on the subject. My next assignment is to examine your fig and see what we might be calling it here.

Back
Top Bottom