Do We Worry Too Much ?

sidevalve

Guru
Local time
9:50 PM
Simple question really - do we worry too much what we eat ?
Ok I don't mean live on lard sandwiches or baked beans but are we just getting totaly paranoid now ? My nephew's children [still quite young] have never had a burger and while I don't suggest living on them would an occasional treat do any harm ? Children can burn energy / calories at a fantastic rate - one burger just aint going to poison them. In fact a happy day out as a treat once in a while with mum and dad might do them a lot of good
I watch people reading the labels on food packaging as though their lives were on the line and the tinyest morsal of sugar/preservative/chemical will be the death of them. Sure if you have a genuine food problem but most people really don't. Just use a bit of common sense and chill out.
We may not eat our way to the grave but there are a lot who seem to be worrying themseves to it.

Yes. Worry is always a negative for both mind and body. We should avoid worry if at all possible. You can be mindful of what you are eating by making a habit of checking labels and considering nutrition when putting together a meal, but there is no need to worry. Even if you find out you have eaten something you would rather avoid, you don't have to eat it again, and you can always eat more leafy greens later to help remove them toxins from your body.

Hate to say it, but its coming down to H&S.
We're being bombarded by people saying that a certain food isn't safe, for whatever reason, don't eat it/eat as much of it. I've gone from field to plate with some of the food I've eaten over the years. But its getting harder as time goes on.
Try getting hard cured bacon, its nigh on impossible these days.
How many know that carrots shouldn't be orange. Their present colour is due, in part, to vanity.

We may not physically do as much as they did in the past, but we have the times and the means to make up for it. Something that wasn't available when "unhealthy" food was being eaten.

I stay away from the things that are bad for me most of the time, and only eat them in moderation.
It's the only way to be able to enjoy something that's considered to be bad for you - once every blue moon. :wink: :headshake:

I stay away from the things that are bad for me most of the time, and only eat them in moderation.
It's the only way to be able to enjoy something that's considered to be bad for you - once every blue moon. :wink: :headshake:
Good advice BUT my point exactly - the 'guidelines' change so often that good today can be bad tomorrow and vice versa. Salt is bad in large amounts but eat none and you would be in trouble - the exact safe amount --- pick your expert and pick your answer.
I notice that many 'health benefits due to XXX' only seem to appear as a result of a change of lifestyle - in which case the effcts might just happen anyway. Ask any 'expert' to say 100% that something is bad [or good] and they will run a mile - untill they can offer solid advice I will take their advice with a large pinch of _ _ _ _ .

Best way of looking it is trying to eat a unrefined diet,and organic,yes we worry about sodium,but I know just eat it in refined products,ie bread,what about caffeine ,the list can go on.....the worry list can and this is a small can ,contribute to a illness not cause it,so moderation is not a dirty word , yes we do worry to much

I believe in doing all things in moderation. I do not think it is the actual foods we eat that do us harm. It is when we eat too much of certain foods for too long a period of time that can have bad effects on our body. For instance, I like ice cream, but I do not eat it on a regular basis. I eat it as a treat from time to time.

Reading labels may be a good thing if one has a health problem, like diabetes or hypertension, for instance. They would want to choose items that are not too high in sugar or salt. However, I do not believe we should become so paranoid that we read the labels on every single thing we buy. Worry in itself can do more harm on one's body than the actual foods they eat. My policy is to eat a little bit of everything, but try to eat more of the healthy foods.

I am not certain that we worry enough about what we eat to be honest. A huge number of medical conditions stem from what we eat and what happens in out gut and I really don't think that most of the population worry enough about what they eat.

Those who are on websites such as this, clearly do and perhaps some worry too much about the labels, but given that we are in a very significant minority.

So I would say that overall people do not worry enough and I am specifically thinking of the families I see walking around who are filling their faces with the cheapest burgers/fries/chips and Chinese/Indian/Thai/any other regional option laden with fat/American/British from a corner food stall, where both parents are obese and their children are clearly following in their footsteps.

Sadly when when 67% (so 2/3rds) of men and 57% of women in the UK are classed as overweight or obese and finding stats for the USA that actually include overweight rather than starting at obese (1/3 of all adults in the USA are classed as obese) is nigh on impossible unless they are 5 years out of date (2/3rd are overweight or obese) it would appear that people simply do not pay enough attention to what they are eating, so I would say no, overall people do not worry enough about what they eat or what is in what they eat, more importantly.

Part of the reason for putting the ingredients for natural items up was because people worry about "E" numbers. If its an "E" number it must be bad for you. Air has "E" numbers!
Recently told that I should consider getting back up to the the weekly mileage I've done in the past on the bike, 250+ miles, as I'm overweight. Same weight then as now, but fell on deaf ears again.

Where we differ from, say those of a similar age of 50 years ago, is the way we live. Centrally heated/air conditioned housing, sealed enviroment. Walking is an exercise now, not an everyday thing. Work isn't as physically demanding either.

I'd say that the food fashion police need to step back, stop telling people what's bad for them and concentrate on the way food is actually grown/made. The food supplement market no longer has just a toe hold, its on firm footing now. Purely because we're being told we need them. We don't.

We definitely do. From my experience, a "perfect" diet cannot both be perfect and also be sustainable in the long term. There has to be some sort of balance that is reached, because if you cut out "bad" food completely, you won't be left with a lot. And even if you are, you'll eventually crave some bad food and the guaranteed binge will not be pretty.

I think some worry too much, and others not enough. I think we should stop reading so many labels, because we shouldn't be using as much food with labels, and should be eating more natural foods. I use canned and frozen sometimes, but that is never my entire meal. I try to have fresh foods every day, and exercise some, and not stress too much about what the so called experts say, because they don't know what they're talking about anyway. The experts have changed their tunes so much over the years that what they've been spewing as health advice could have harmed people, so I pay them no heed.

I think some worry too much, and others not enough. I think we should stop reading so many labels, because we shouldn't be using as much food with labels, and should be eating more natural foods. I use canned and frozen sometimes, but that is never my entire meal. I try to have fresh foods every day, and exercise some, and not stress too much about what the so called experts say, because they don't know what they're talking about anyway. The experts have changed their tunes so much over the years that what they've been spewing as health advice could have harmed people, so I pay them no heed.
With regards natural foods, have a look at this.

Back
Top Bottom