Do you add flour to beef stew?

MrMajeika

Local time
1:04 AM
I have a recipe from Jamie Oliver 5 ingredients book for beef stew. Meltin' mustardy beef | Beef recipes | Jamie Oliver recipes

Sounds really nice with the mustard and worcestershire sauce. It's quite a simple recipe because the whole point of the book is recipes that have only 5 ingredients. I'm thinking if coating the beef in flour before searing will give a better result? Don't know whether it doesn't really matter or the step has been skipped to keep it at 5 ingredients. Thinking it might make a richer thicker stew at the end?

Craig coats the beef cubes in seasoned flour when he makes stew. I don't. It doesn't seem to make much of a difference to me. But, the seasoning mix I use does have a bit of flour in it. His doesn't. So, it's a bit of a wash as far as flour use.

Last edited:
I think if you use flour on the beef it will thicken the stew a bit. otherwise I don't think it makes much difference.

I think if you use flour on the beef it will thicken the stew a bit. otherwise I don't think it makes much difference.

That's precisely why I would add flour to Stews, - to thicken them. Flour is otherwise neutral in flavor.

I've done both. I've never had anyone comment one way or the other on the finished product.

Back
Top Bottom