Do you add ingredients to can soup?

Pat

Veteran
Local time
7:18 AM
How do you change or enhance can soup?

Often I will take a can of soup and add something to it to make it better or make it serve more people. I add chopped onions or rice or more spices to enhance the flavor.

When I was a kid my mom would add the leftover rice to tomato soup.

I am not usually in the habit of adding anything to canned soup. The only thing I would add is the amount of water which is specified in the instructions. In any case, I view canned soup as something to drink when one is ill, so having it too spicy would defeat this purpose. I do not view it as a real meal, just as something to give a pick-me-up feeling.

I do not do that, but I am going to start adding things to ramen noodles since that is basically salt. People add meats, veggies, eggs, and all sorts of things to main it more nutritious, and more functional. I also use about half the salt packet when I make those, and add other things. I think whatever you can do to add more nutrition and less sodium to oodles of noodles or any kind of packaged ramen is a good thing to do.

I really don't care much for can soup but whenever I have had it I add something or the other. Sometimes it might be some dry herbs and other times it might be some potatoes, carrots or sometimes cabbage. I have never had a can soup as is - never.

I like to make tomato soup with milk instead of water. Then, I add a bit of (crumbled, browned, and drained) ground beef, some elbow pasta (precooked), and some cheese. I haven't actually made this in years, but I used to make it when the kids were little. They enjoyed it, and it was a bit heartier than just a wimpy old can of soup.

Canned soup is practically fast food (I'll admit it's sort of a comfort food too on occasion) that's readily in pantry. It already have fair amount of sodium, so I won't add any meat. I for sure would add potatoes, shallot, and green onions. If it's cream soup, I might add mushrooms. Whether cream or tomato based, it could do with more chopped vegetables :okay:

I think we all like the convenience of that can of anything that we can quickly pop out and find a meal with. What I am fast becoming a veteran at is creating my own quick meals and soup can be one of them. I've whipped up a quick soup in no time so I no longer see the need to request some cans of soup. I did a quick Pinterest search and there are loads of modified can soup recipes if we want to keep using the can soups. Good old Pinterest.

Usually when I have canned soup it's as a quick meal - and in that case I don't add other ingredients - or sometimes I use it as the base for other recipes. For instance, sometimes slow cooker recipes I have will call for a can of tomato soup or French onion soup - so I guess you could call that adding things to soup (or adding soup to other things!)

The only form of "canned" soup I ever use is to take a pack of ramen noodles and use the seasoning packet I add some water to a pan put the seasonings in it, throw in some bok choy stems with a piece of cabbage and carrot etc. Any hard veggie I have. Maybe I'll add a shrimp or two.. any left over cold cut meat. After which I just add the noodles that were already cooked. Top it with a poached or soft boiled egg and I have a quick dinner. May not be healthy but it's something I eat rarely.

We do like to keep a few cans of chicken noodle soup in the pantry to have as a quick meal or snack when we are tired or in a hurry. My grandson's will eat the ramen noodles when they need something quick.

I have never really thought of that. I usually make my own soup though because I have high blood pressure so I really have to warch my salt intake. I find can soup really high in salt.

I use both tomato and mushroom "condensed" canned soup as a base for some sauces. Not because it's quick or easy just because it's a better base than I could make myself. What I add to the soup depends upon for what I am using it.

I tend to add canned condensed soups to other foods. I am not fond of canned soups.

Back
Top Bottom