Do you all cook from scratch or incorporate boxed foods?

I usually cook from scratch. I got into this whole label reading thing when I started to lose weight and I have to be quite honest that is what made me stop eating many prepared foods. If I don't know what something is or there are to many chemicals I just don't want to eat it. Don't really seem like real food if it has all sorts of additives. I do occasionally used canned things, usually beans, but even that is something I find I do less and less. People think scratch cooking must take forever, in some recipes it can take awhile to get a great result, but not in all recipes. Health wise scratch is the better choice.

I only cook from scratch. I don't even like buying ready made spice mixes preferring to make up my own to taste. The only exception has been one brand of garam masala which we like.

I also like you SatNav, I only cook from scratch. I find that I am able to control my intake of different things that way, for example salt levels and basically also avoid the different chemicals that are stuffed into the box meals.
I will admit that I have considered trying them out though, just for the experience!

I'm a scratch cook as that's the way I was taught and that's my background professionally. I avoid frozen prepared full meals and may prepared box/canned items in general mostly to avoid the high sodium levels. That all being said, in a pinch I do have my favorites for speeding things up with something pre-packaged.But even then, I add things to it to make in more home made and not as generic and look for low sodium versions when possible.

Do you all cook from scratch or incorporate boxed foods in your cooking?

I used to only cook from scratch and would never considered using any prepared convenience type foods. But a few years ago I came across some Kraft magazines filled with recipes incorporating all their products. I tried some out and have to say they were pretty darn good and easy!

Do you all have a certain way you cook?
Certain things I will buy in a box like pasta. I never got into making pasta from scratch. I generally prefer cooking from scratch. Being on a plant-base/Vegan diet, I don't always have the option to buy what I want in a box. I also save money by making food homemade. The labor is not always fun but if you love to cook it's not so bad. The best part about cooking from scratch is the fact that it's healthier for you.

I also like you SatNav, I only cook from scratch. I find that I am able to control my intake of different things that way, for example salt levels and basically also avoid the different chemicals that are stuffed into the box meals.
I will admit that I have considered trying them out though, just for the experience!
I agree with you, sodium levels are very high on most foods in a box. Eating as close to nature as you can is always the best way to go, But If I do buy from a box I make sure it only has one or a very few ingredients, like flax seed, or oatmeal.

Back
Top Bottom