Do you bake cakes?

oivas

Veteran
Local time
12:15 AM
I love cakes but I am not good at making one. My wife does a great job at it. I love the chocolate and fresh fruit cakes. What about you? Do you make cakes? Which ones are your favorite?

I love to bake cakes! My favorite cake to bake is a German chocolate one, with coconut-cream cheese frosting. I also love baking a mean cookie cake as well. Usually my cakes don't last more than a couple days in my house!

My favorite cake that I make from scratch is Southern Red Velvet. It's a really delicious, rich, moist cocoa cake topped with cream cheese icing. The first time I made this, there must have been something too moist in the recipe because it started to break in half like an earthquake after I had frosted it. It was still delicious, but not very pretty! I've had better luck and more practice since then.

No, but I'd love to try. I admit that it seems a bit intimidating, but I'm sure anyone can learn it properly with enough practice. My favorite is mango flavored cake, but I'd like most any type provided it's well made. I dislike fondant a lot, though, and I prefer traditional icing a lot more.

Nope, I don't do any baking at all. I simply don't enjoy it... might also have something to do with the fact that I rarely enjoy eating baked things. There are some baked goods which I have with coffee but I just get them from the bakery across the street.

If it comes in a mix - just add eggs and water - then I can bake. I can make things with yeast and quick breads, but cakes rarely work out well for me. I think, for me, it is probably an issue of a lack of practice. I think you really have to know your oven and bakeware to get the moisture, temperature, and timing exactly right. I am not likely to bake a cake for myself and when I entertain, I will make something else for dessert rather than risking a failed cake.

Back
Top Bottom