Do You Care if a Recipe is Authentic?

In Germany the most used spices are salt and pepper, everything else is still used like we can't afford it.

Interesting. Traditional Texas "style" barbecue is beef, and only seasoned with salt and pepper before smoking. Like chicken fried steak, it was also created by German immigrants to Central Texas, the birthplace of Texas style BBQ.

CD

Just one person’s observation: When we lived in the UK in the 1990’s, it wasn’t all that common to see tartar sauce served with fish and chips, at least the places we went.

Now, when we go back for a visit, it seems it’s almost always served with tartar sauce on the side.

I am trying to remember if the British Fish and Chips had tartar sauce or not. I do know the American variants I have eaten, have done so. But it was something like 18 years ago or such, since I've been over there.

I am trying to remember if the British Fish and Chips had tartar sauce or not. I do know the American variants I have eaten, have done so. But it was something like 18 years ago or such, since I've been over there.
I remember years ago a fish n chips shop popped up in the small resort town in the panhandle of Florida where I lived. They strictly did malt vinegar with fish n chips, and I think that's the way it used to be done pretty much everywhere, but apparently now some places serve tartar(e) sauce, even in the UK?
The CookingBites recipe challenge: capers/caper berries

Just one person’s observation: When we lived in the UK in the 1990’s, it wasn’t all that common to see tartar sauce served with fish and chips, at least the places we went.

Now, when we go back for a visit, it seems it’s almost always served with tartar sauce on the side.

Perhaps after hearing millions of American tourists ask for tartar sauce, the Brits tried it, and liked it. :laugh:

CD

Perhaps after hearing millions of American tourists ask for tartar sauce, the Brits tried it, and liked it. :laugh:

CD
I think that in the Netherlands they served some sort of Bearnaise mayonnaise dipping sauce with fries? I always found that interesting. I guess I could just add some tarragon to mayonnaise and give it a shot.

Last edited:
I remember years ago a fish n chips shop popped up in the small resort town in the panhandle of Florida where I lived. They strictly did malt vinegar with fish n chips, and I think that's the way it used to be done pretty much everywhere, but apparently now some places serve tartar(e) sauce, even in the UK?
The CookingBites recipe challenge: capers/caper berries

Yorky calls it good bye sauce. Lmao

Russ

I am trying to remember if the British Fish and Chips had tartar sauce or not.
Up until I was 27-28, you'd get salt and malt vinegar on your F&Ch. Then I went missing for 40 years, and found that restaurants will usually give you tartare sauce. Chip shops? I had to ask for it.
My mum wouldn't have approved.
" What? That's French! We have salt and malt vinegar!" (as she chomped her way through deep-fried breaded Brie , served with Sriracha sauce) :laugh: :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom