Do you change Grandma's recipes?

Willie84

Veteran
Local time
11:51 AM
If you use your Grandmother's recipes, do you change them at all? Do you update the ingredients?

Until I developed an allergy to all dairy products, no I didn't change them (I have all of my Grannie's recipes and her recipe folder + book). Her more modern recipes I need to change/modify now because of the dairy, but ironically a lot of her older recipes, I don't need to change because of WWII rationing.

No I do not change my grandmother's recipes. They are perfect they way they are. Well I suppose that is not true. I have bought a cheaper brand of something though the ingredient is the same. I am not sure if that counts or not.

Funnily enough, in my family the recipes were passed down from the men. Do I change my grandfather's recipes? Well, it was so obviously already changed from my great-great-grandfather by the time it got to me, so why not? I mean... spaghetti in the tomato sauce, rather than being served on the side, is apparently a New World thing and not a European thing--but that, and adding the Spanish chorizo that definitely is not Italian, and then adding favorite local brands (thankfully, from companies that are still going strong a generation later) to be written down in the recipe book... So, yes, I totally experiment with it and I expect any descendants of mine to do the same.

No, I leave them alone and with most of my mother's recipes its the same thing for me. With my mom's egg and potato salad I do put far fewer eggs in it but otherwise its the same recipe.

For the most part, no. My baked mac and cheese is based on hers but tweaked in various ways. That's about the only thing I've ever changed.

No. I do not change my grandmother's recipes. Actually, I basically learned to cook from my mother, and the recipes she used were passed down from her mother (my grandmother). I usually follow what she taught me, or what I observed her doing. If there is another way of doing things, I will have to experiment for myself, but I feel more comfortable doing it the way I learned it from them. I guess I would have to observe how others do things, or watch more cooking programs on TV to get other ideas. In fact, I do watch some cooking programs from time to time, but I have never tried it the way they do it. I may just get bold enough one of these days to get out of the old way of doing things, and try doing things a bit differently; I may just like the change.

Back
Top Bottom