Do You Dip?

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
3:01 PM
[Mod comment: several posts moved to start new topic about dips (TR)]

Dip here is a tin of reduced cream and a packet of onion soup mix , cap full of vinegar. Mix and set in fridge.
Yummo

Russ

Last edited by a moderator:
Not here I think? I've never come across that. In fact I'm not sure dips really existed here when I was a kid.
I think it's still fairly popular, I think it's included on the back of every envelope of dry onion soup mix here, but it's definitely considered a retro thing.

That, and marinating a steak in Italian salad dressing. Everybody was doing that in the '60's...and making Jell-O salads.

In fact, I don't think we would even have understood the word 'dip' as a noun in the culinary sense, in those days
A "dip" was a swim in the sea - Folkestone, Greatstone, Camber Sands...
And the only "snacks" I can remember were:
  • mini sausage rolls - maybe with Colman´s mustard
  • Vinegared prawns ( a bloke used to come round the pubs and sell them)
  • Cheese straws
  • Crisps - I think they´d just invented cheese & onion
The first time I came over to the States, I was fascinated by the salad dressings. Creamy blue cheese, French, Italian, Thousand Islands, Ranch, Green Goddess.... I probably ate more salad than anything else just for that reason!

In fact, I don't think we would even have understood the word 'dip' as a noun in the culinary sense, in those days.
We never had dip when I was a kid, just because that's not something my parents ate, but it was very common. We'd see it on TV a lot.

My wife had a very different upbringing than I did, and her folks entertained a lot, lots of dinner parties. I asked her and she said they ate dip all the time, that it was always in their house.

I was fascinated by the salad dressings. Creamy blue cheese, French, Italian, Thousand Islands, Ranch, Green Goddess
When I lived in the UK in the early-mid '90's, that was the number one thing locals would beg me to get them from the American commissary - ranch dressing! I gave bottles of that stuff away like candy.

That´s right up my street.
Any particular beer? I mean there´s a huge difference between a Coor´s Lite and a Delirium Tremens Belgian trappist beer:D
Actually, I imagine you could fiddle around with that element: an IPA, a Belgian white beer, a porter or a classic pilsner.

In fact, I don't think we would even have understood the word 'dip' as a noun in the culinary sense, in those days.
Dips nearly only happened in my childhood when we had company. Otherwise, it was just the dry onion Knorr thing in sour cream and mix it up. And only rarely for that. Day to day meals, we didn't need chips or a veggie platter.
We never had dip when I was a kid, just because that's not something my parents ate, but it was very common. We'd see it on TV a lot.

My wife had a very different upbringing than I did, and her folks entertained a lot, lots of dinner parties. I asked her and she said they ate dip all the time, that it was always in their house.

When I lived in the UK in the early-mid '90's, that was the number one thing locals would beg me to get them from the American commissary - ranch dressing! I gave bottles of that stuff away like candy.
Ranch (raunch) dressing was never a "thing" growing up. I don't particularly care for it, frankly. I'm unhappy when that is the only alternative for Buffalo wings (which didn't exist when I was a kid, either). I just do without.

Back
Top Bottom