Do you do food requests.?

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
5:01 PM
My family tradition here is I cook dinner for everyone here on a Sunday evening. If it's your birthday you get to chose entree main and dessert. I don't know what you think of my family tradition. Normally it might be a simple roast and a chocolate brownie dessert. But birthdays I go out of my way to please. My wife's birthday was last week so she chose
Vege samosas beef samosas tandoori lamb cutlets. This was served as an entree where you help yourself. Main was the raan leg of lamb and she chose lime cheesecake. It went down real well. My d.i.l has her birthday today so it's her choice next week. She gave me her request yesterday. Chicken croquettes for entree, fillet Mignon bacon wrapped steak with mushroom sauce. Potato gratin also. Her fave dessert chocolate brownie. I cover all costs of food etc and cook the lot by myself. I have a lot of stuff in the freezer so it's not as much work as it sounds,

Do you do requests??

Russ

The only family I cook for on a regular basis is my wife. She rarely requests anything, because (as she says, so it's not bragging :laugh:, "Everything you make is delicious."

For normal weeks, I generally do a menu and I don't ask for any input. Now and again, she might say something like, "You know what we haven't had in a while..." and suggest something that way, which I'll usually try to accommodate.

Special occasions like birthdays and anniversaries, we go out to a posh place; otherwise, I'd be cooking for myself!

When I cook for others (like when my brother and his wife just came over), I set the menu. I might ask ahead of time if a guest likes a particular ingredient, but I prefer to surprise them. I will point out, though, that I rarely cook for other people, unless it's some potluck thing. I really don't like entertaining at our house. That's my sanctuary, and I don't like anybody else but the wife and the dog here. :laugh:

When we do have some kind of potluck, I do not like to be told what to cook. I'll tolerate being told, "We need a dessert," or "Could you make a main dish," but I won't tolerate, "You're making lasagna." In that respect, I definitely won't cook on command. I'm not a show pony!

One of the reasons "Blue Bloods" is one of my favorite TV show is the family Sunday get together they have every show. You are soooo lucky to be able to do that also.

I'd like a brownie ice cream sandwich. Will you send one over? :D:hungry:

One of the reasons "Blue Bloods" is one of my favorite TV show is the family Sunday get together they have every show. You are soooo lucky to be able to do that also.

I know I'm lucky, kids within 20 to 25 mins away. Grandkids love it as well. They normally choose burgers or American hot dogs,lol.

Russ

Every mother's day, I do the cooking, and mom picks out the meal. My cooking is the only thing she doesn't complain about, so it works for me. :rolleyes:

When my wife used to eat beef and I used to buy it from the local supermarket for chilli or stew I would buy a two to three kilogramme chunk which the butcher would slice from the (dead) cow's rump. Inevitably when I started to cube or mince it she would ask for a steak cut from the chunk (about 300 gm), which I would later fry for her (I wouldn't touch it; although tasty it was as tough as old boots).

Other than that, I rarely interfere with cooking food for my wife, except to occasionally give her a portion of what I am cooking for myself.

I used to cook meal requests for my (adult) kids when they lived here. Now its only me an partner, who never requests anything. In fact, I suspect he would barely eat if I wasn't here.

When I stay with my friend in Essex, he will sometimes mention an ingredient he fancies - but normally leaves all the menus & cooking to me. I do discuss menus with him first though and he will more often do the opposite of a food request and say 'no, I don't fancy that'.

I guess I am very lucky. Whenever I request seafood (DH won't eat it) DH will very willing make it for me. That is just about the only thing that gets requested around here.

I guess I am very lucky. Whenever I request seafood (DH won't eat it) DH will very willing make it for me. That is just about the only thing that gets requested around here.

My wife hates seafood, when she smells it she starts gagging. I love it. I try to cook it when she's not here.

Russ

Recently when stating at our sons, they were in Samoa, a brekky would be
Wife scrambled eggs n bacon
Eldest miss 10 toast with raspberry jam.
Mr 8 baked beans on toast
Mr 5 spaghetti on toast
Me mushrooms on toast.

That's not unusual for me to make this to feed them.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom