Do you do shared plates?

When we eat out it is usually at a "white linen" restaurant. I try to get George to share with me - 1 appetizer, 1 salad, 1 entre. If the entre is not very heavy we can share a desert. We both leave the restaurant pleasantly full but not over stuffed or feeling so full that we need wheel chairs to exit the restaurant.

George has struggled with obesity his entire life. Even after Bariatric Surgery he is obese. If there is food on his plate he will force himself to eat it.

Sharing is a good thing. He eats out more often than not because of his job. I have talked to him about ordering an appetizer with a side salad and veggies instead of a full entre. That falls on deaf ears. Buffets, plate lunches, "all you can eat" are the nemesis of people with chronic weight issues.

A big YES on sharing.

A friends wife had the operation a few years ago, she looks a million dollars now. I don't know where the extra skin goes now? And I'm not asking,lol.

Russ

Yes Russ. Big as in Expensive not covered by insurance with a painful 2 week recovery. Daughter-in-law had bariatric surgery before G did. She met her goal weight - still over weight but below obesity. She then had cosmetic surgery. Excess skin removed, butt tucked, boobs lifted - not augmented just lifted to where they are supposed to be, minor face lift. $10K. That was a deal. She knew someone who knew someone.

The sad thing is that she, like George, did not stick to her program. She is now obese - again.

Yes Russ. Big as in Expensive not covered by insurance with a painful 2 week recovery. Daughter-in-law had bariatric surgery before G did. She met her goal weight - still over weight but below obesity. She then had cosmetic surgery. Excess skin removed, butt tucked, boobs lifted - not augmented just lifted to where they are supposed to be, minor face lift. $10K. That was a deal. She knew someone who knew someone.

The sad thing is that she, like George, did not stick to her program. She is now obese - again.

A trainer that used to train horses for me was a big bloke, after his parents died he got a lot of money from the estate, he had the stomach op , went down to about 90kgs, now he's back to obese. What a waste of money and time.

Russ

What a waste of money and time.

A sad thing. Obesity is a serious medical condition. Bariatric surgery is designed to be an aid to weight loss and long term changes of bad habits. DIL and G have failed because they refused to accept the necessity of life long behavior changes. That is why they are obese in the first place. I have told G more than once that his weight issues are in his head. An eating disorder. Probably related to hoarding - hoarding food by over eating and eating the wrong food.

Because I love G I have done a lot of reading and research on eating disorders.

WAY off topic of sharing plates. Sorry.

When we eat out it is usually at a "white linen" restaurant. I try to get George to share with me - 1 appetizer, 1 salad, 1 entre. If the entre is not very heavy we can share a desert. We both leave the restaurant pleasantly full but not over stuffed or feeling so full that we need wheel chairs to exit the restaurant.

George has struggled with obesity his entire life. Even after Bariatric Surgery he is obese. If there is food on his plate he will force himself to eat it.

Sharing is a good thing. He eats out more often than not because of his job. I have talked to him about ordering an appetizer with a side salad and veggies instead of a full entre. That falls on deaf ears. Buffets, plate lunches, "all you can eat" are the nemesis of people with chronic weight issues.

A big YES on sharing.

If G travels a lot for work, it is really hard to eat healthy. Even a salad at a restaurant is over a thousand calories.

These days, at least, more and more restaurants are putting calorie counts on their menus.

CD

caseydog
When eating out it is a matter of choice. We went out to dinner last week for my birthday. The server offered a beautiful bread basket. I had him take it away. Oh I wanted it big time. All home made with a variety plate of compound butter. G blanched and had his hand stretched out ready to grab the bread basket. Little things make a big difference. Mexican restaurant - skip the chips, keep the salsa, skip the tortillas, rice and re fried beans, get black beans instead and scrape 1/2 off of your plate. Italian is a personal favorite. SHARE.

There is a joint in a neighboring community that makes THE BEST nasty, greasy, loaded hamburger. A very rare treat. Only a couple of times a year. I take the burger off of the bun and eat that wonderfully flavorful, nasty, loaded burger with a knife and fork. A small thing.

It really depends on the menu, we wouldn't share in a fine dining restaurant, but some cuisines are best shared with the food placed in the centre of the table for everyone to dig in. I love sharing food that way, it is just a great way for prople to come together. Occasionally Lu and I will share if there are two things on a menu we both fancy but can't decide on then halfsies makes sense.

Something like those, I think, are a little different than actually sharing two entrees between two people. I don't mind family-style that much, we have Buca Italian family-style restaurants here, and we get that catered in for lunch at work. I can grab one serving of one entree and that's that.

I guess it's just my personality. I hardly ever look at a menu and want more than one thing. It's not that nothing else looks good, it's just that I'm a one-entree guy, so when I look at a menu, I'm looking for one thing, and when I find that thing, that's what I want and that's what I get, and I'm happy. Having to then hand over half of it for half of something else I don't even want is annoying.

MrsTasty will almost always be indecisive. She can never figure out what she wants. :)
Did the Bucca thing one time years ago with about six other friends. EVERYONE but me wanted pasta dishes -“ oooo ahhh. pasta, pasta, pasta pasta”. I ordered chicken piccata as i am not a big pasta fan. Everyone joked about me not ordering a main pasta. Well, you probably know where this is going.. Chicken piccata started serving at opposite end of table from husband and me and the dish was empty by the time it got to us! I remember I was fuming inside, it was years ago, going out was a treat for us not an every weekend thing and we were on a tight budget.. first and last time I ever did the Bucca experience. I imagine now, I would laugh it off or just ask for another order but, back then.. was the decision maker. - I want my own darn entree! Hands off, I will share but, on my terms.. LOL..

MG, family style American Italian restaurant chain
Buca di Beppo | Italian Restaurant
At Buca's, the table is filled with bottles of flavored olive oils, like garlic oil and basil oil, etc.

They have (or had, I haven't been in the restaurant in years) a bottle that's basically pepperoni grease and red pepper flakes (that's pepperoni in the American sense for our Italian friends).

My teen-at-the-time niece, who loved (and still loves) the antics her oddball uncle gets up to, dared me to eat a spoonful.

She picked up her spoon when she said it, and I just smiled, winked, reached over and grabbed one of the big serving spoons that probably held a 1/4 cup, filled it up with grease, and slurped it down. No problem.

She never knew it, but I felt like crap the rest of the night and into the next day. Couldn't sleep, stomach upset, just awful.

That was probably 20 years ago and whenever we go over to her house now (she lives a few hours away), she'll always make some comment about me eating grease, like if we're going out, she'll say, "I don't care where we go, just make sure they have some grease options for Uncle Tasty." :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom