Do you ever cook the recipes on the back of ingredient packets?

vernplum

Veteran
Local time
4:20 PM
As I was tossing out the carton of something the other day (tbh I can't even remember what it was, but I did think 'Ooh I must start a thread on that') I found myself glancing at the recipe on the back of it and thinking 'I should try that.' before I dumped it in the trash.

Have you ever cooked any of them and found some good ones?

I normally would not, but I have over the years. I remember making a gooey butter cake from a recipe on the back of a brick of cream cheese.

I’d probably still do it if I were requested to make something for a person or event I didn’t care that much about. If I were going to a family cookout and someone wanted brownies or chocolate chip cookies, I’d probably just use the recipes off the back of the cocoa or chocolate chip packages and be done with it, versus going out and trying to find some unique spin on either one.

Occasionally yes. My pasta flour is one such example. It gives the best ratio of flour to water to use for their flour, so it seemed sensible to use it.

My dried mushrooms have many recipes Thai I've collected. I'm not certain I've actually cooked any of them yet though.

As for finding any good ones? No not really.... lol

I can't remember that I ever have. However, I do read the instructions for use of packet foods. Bisto gravy granuals for example.

And I have to read the instructions every time these days as I forget. I know now that it's 5 heaped teaspoons per 280 ml boiling water because I've just read the packet. It is doubtful that I'll remember next time, even if it's tomorrow.

I recall making French onion dip after buying packets of onion soup. But, there, I bought the soup packets because I was planning to make French onion dip. The recipe is pretty simple:

Ingredients

French onion soup packet
Sour cream

Directions

1. Blend ingredients together.
2. Serve

That was college and single guy days, though. I would put more work into a French onion dip recipe now if I were to make one.

I recall making French onion dip after buying packets of onion soup. But, there, I bought the soup packets because I was planning to make French onion dip. The recipe is pretty simple:

Ingredients

French onion soup packet
Sour cream

Directions

1. Blend ingredients together.
2. Serve

That was college and single guy days, though. I would put more work into a French onion dip recipe now if I were to make one.

Growing up, that's the only French onion dip I knew. It's not bad. You really need to make it a day in advance.

CD

Back
Top Bottom