Do you ever make vegan meals?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
1:05 PM
November 1st is world vegan day. Will you be eating vegan today? I suspect not, unless by accident. To my knowledge there is only one vegan (well actually 'veggan' which is vegan with eggs) amongst our regular members but that doesn't mean we can't all eat vegan sometimes. I very often do simply because I tend to favour plant based meals. I was a vegetarian for years (from age 11). I cook meat mainly for others and because I enjoy cooking. Vegan food can be more challenging to make than vegetarian. I should know, because a while back my son who was living with us at the time became vegan. The most difficult thing I found about cooking vegan was 'no dairy'.

Tell us what you think. Have you ever cooked vegan meals? Please resist telling us you are an out and out carnivore and wouldn't ever cook vegan meals!

I don't do vegan, but I am not a heartless host. The last time we had a vegan guest, I made her a curry cauliflower dish where the cauliflower replaced my usual protein of choice (chicken). I have also appreciated korean kimchi stew where I added sliced shiitake mushrooms in place of meat so as to keep it vegan.

I've made vegan meals, but not because I set out to make a vegan meal, it just turned out that way. A lot of the salad dressings I make are vegan-friendly.

We're likely having salad tonight, so maybe I'll consciously make sure the dressing is vegan. Happy World Vegan Day! 🌱

Actually MG, I just realized I was inadvertently planning a vegan dinner tonight! Kimchi fried rice with enoki mushrooms replacing my usual protein of choice (pork). No dairy and no animal products. The only hard choice will be omitting the fried egg on top. Recipe - Mushroom & Kimchi Fried Rice

Last edited:
I live on a mainly vegetarian diet and only eat meat/fish when I´m at a restaurant. I´ve probably made loads of vegan meals - especially when I´m cooking Indian food - but have never consciously cooked one.
I have, however, given several courses on vegetarian food ( including vegan dishes) at local restaurants and even in the neighbourhood where I live.

You surprised me a bit saying that! I'm a bit the same - though I do eat fish/shellfish at home sometimes, in particular, oysters which are one of my favourite foods ever.
Hahaha! I was brought up in a fussy household. Didn´t eat fish till I was 25. No oysters until I was 32. Love fish now,however! But I still live on veggies - and cheese, of course. No cheese, no life.:laugh::laugh:

I don't follow World Vegan Day, in particular. But it is unavoidable to occasionally fix what would qualify as a vegan meal.

Didn't know it is World Vegan Day.... too late for today!

Sometimes I do eat vegan meals, but usually not by plan. I made a copycat Panera's Vegan Black Bean soup for my culinary group potluck company Sunday a week ago - we were supposed to create restaurant favorites, and that is one of mine (although Panera Bread has unfortunately discontinued this soup). It was really good - I'll make it soon again and post it (I was playing fast and loose with the herbs and spices, so that part wasn't recorded, which meant I didn't write my own effort at it down).

I have decided that I plan to focus on vegetarian and vegan meals for the month of February 2022. I'll be at least vegetarian for the month, except if I'm being served food at someone's home. (Since I am NOT vegetarian or vegan, it would be inappropriate to have friends cater to my food plan during that month.) I am going to be doing this more as a "growth exercise" than for any other reason.

BTW, dinner is already planned, and it is to be vegetarian. A toasted sandwich with eggplant / aubergine, avocado, broccoli sprouts, cilantro. Alas, goat cheese is going to sneak its way in there, too.

Didn't know it is World Vegan Day.... too late for today!

Sometimes I do eat vegan meals, but usually not by plan. I made a copycat Panera's Vegan Black Bean soup for my culinary group potluck company Sunday a week ago - we were supposed to create restaurant favorites, and that is one of mine (although Panera Bread has unfortunately discontinued this soup). It was really good - I'll make it soon again and post it (I was playing fast and loose with the herbs and spices, so that part wasn't recorded, which meant I didn't write my own effort at it down).

I have decided that I plan to focus on vegetarian and vegan meals for the month of February 2022. I'll be at least vegetarian for the month, except if I'm being served food at someone's home. (Since I am NOT vegetarian or vegan, it would be inappropriate to have friends cater to my food plan during that month.) I am going to be doing this more as a "growth exercise" than for any other reason.

BTW, dinner is already planned, and it is to be vegetarian. A toasted sandwich with eggplant / aubergine, avocado, broccoli sprouts, cilantro. Alas, goat cheese is going to sneak its way in there, too.
it's also world vegan month this month with world vegan day being the start... so it's not too late

November 1st is world vegan day. Will you be eating vegan today? I suspect not, unless by accident. To my knowledge there is only one vegan (well actually 'veggan' which is vegan with eggs) amongst our regular members but that doesn't mean we can't all eat vegan sometimes. I very often do simply because I tend to favour plant based meals. I was a vegetarian for years (from age 11). I cook meat mainly for others and because I enjoy cooking. Vegan food can be more challenging to make than vegetarian. I should know, because a while back my son who was living with us at the time became vegan. The most difficult thing I found about cooking vegan was 'no dairy'.

Tell us what you think. Have you ever cooked vegan meals? Please resist telling us you are an out and out carnivore and wouldn't ever cook vegan meals!
yesterday (the first) was a vegan day all day here in our household. no egg at all (that's my only compromise to being vegan, eggs from my own chooks) yesterday and I'm not that keen on honey so it's only appearance is rare as it is (I find it too sweet, much prefer cappings but they are very hard to obtain nowadays).

so breakfast, berry granola with fresh blueberries and homemade soya yoghurt.

lunch was hummus, fig and date chutney, and plain tofu on brown rice cakes, with tomatoes and a treat of Magnum dairy free dessert (dark chocolate covered almond "ice-cream").

evening meal was baked mushroom moussakas with edamame beans and a smokey beetroot burger.

I've made vegan meals, but not because I set out to make a vegan meal, it just turned out that way. A lot of the salad dressings I make are vegan-friendly.

We're likely having salad tonight, so maybe I'll consciously make sure the dressing is vegan. Happy World Vegan Day! 🌱

Same here. I have never intentionally cooked a vegan meal, but I do like veggies, and in the summer when a lot of good veggies are in season, I will sometimes make a meal of nothing but veggies. Many of those meals probably meet vegan standards, although as I have said before, I do not have the 868 rigid rules of vegan cooking memorized.

CD

Back
Top Bottom