Do you ever pick up herbs and spices at the Dollar Tree?

True2marie

Veteran
Local time
5:31 AM
Unfortunately, the cost of herbs and spices are rising each year. So, I purchase items such as garlic salt and pepper at the Dollar Tree. I don't taste a difference in flavor from any of the named brands I have used in the past.

Agree with you True2marie. Many herbs and spices have actually prohibitive prices either at the Dollar Tree or even in a nearby grocery store or market.

Wonder why is happening this.

I also buy spices at the dollar tree. I recently saw garlic powder at walmart for $2.38. That was for the generic version. I laughed and said "Hey, I could buy two of those at the dollar tree at that price." I try to be as frugal as I can, especially in today's tough economy. I do not notice a taste difference from spices bought at the Dollar Tree vs. other stores. I also buy salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic salt at the Dollar Tree.
In addition, I buy my paper goods there. Paper plates, plastic cups, and plastic utensils.

Comparison shopping is always the way to go. Costco has a limited selection, but often has great deals on standard spices. Most spices I buy in small amounts as needed from a chain store called the Bulk Barn, which is a Canadian retailer, but you can get a bag of basil for instance for a fraction of the cost of a bottle of basil in a grocery store.

I do love the Dollar Store, and I have bought spices (and non-stick spray) there before. They are terrible because they aren't fresh. My suggestion is to order in bulk from Penzeys Spices online. The difference really is amazing. I don't buy spices from the grocery store either, but Costco is the exception. You can buy a 4oz bag from Penzeys for under $5. I bought some empty spice jars from Bed Bath and Beyond and labeled them with the spice I put in them, and I just keep refilling them. I think I've refilled a jar 2 1/2 times before I've had to order another 4oz bag. Their customer service is awesome, and every time you place an order, they send you a sample spice. You also get monthly catalogs from them, and each one has a promo code for a free product, which is usually a 3-4oz jar of something. I promise I'm not an affiliate for Penzeys, but if they did have an affilate program I would jump on it in a second. I just like good quality products, and it's even better when you get a great deal on them. :D

Actually, I would highly recommend checking out Aldi. They sell spices for $1 each as well, but the added benefit is their spices are like 2-3 times larger than what you would see at any other dollar stores. Save-A-Lot is also a good place to get spices - I got a container of bay leaves for only $1.

The ones at Dollar Tree are hit or miss for me. I didn't care for any of their seasoning blends, such as their seasoned salt or steak seasoning. It looked artificial and had a lot of food coloring in it.

GFS (Gordon Food Service) sells large containers of spices, generally about $7 each. However these are very big containers, about 4-5 times the size of what you would normally get, even though they are only a couple dollars more.

I buy my spices at various places. I did happen to pick up some garlic salt and regular salt just yesterday from Dollar Tree. They were in fairly big bottles.

I have bought quite a few of my seasonings from the Dollar Store. I really don't find a difference in the taste at all. My ex's mom use to rant and rave about how horrible the taste was and how I shouldn't pay for it. I'd rather buy 2 large bottles for 2 dollars then waste 5 dollars on one bottle.

I don't buy my herbs or spices at Dollar Tree, I'm sure they are ok but I have always been able to find things at reasonable prices so I never had to look for less expensive alternatives. I grow my own herbs and even dry some of them so I have very little need to buy herbs, but I do buy salt and pepper and tend to pick them up from Trader Joe's because they have a large selection and tend to never be more than a few dollars.

Back
Top Bottom